starting problem '57 G3LS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Does it have the correct carb with the correct jet sizes? If you bought it from a knowledgeable supplier, they should have fitted the right size jets. unfortunately some dealers don't bother and supply with standard jets, not neccesarily correct for your model. I had a model 16 that was fitted with a 389. It was erratic at starting. Once fitted with the corect carb it was tranformed.

the red book gives all the spec.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

It might be worth checking that the weights and springs on the auto advance are not sticking. If the ignition is stuck on "full advance" sometimes this could cause starting problems.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I'm sure that if the auto. advance was stuck in the advance position the, the bike would soon let you know!

Colin F

Post by Colin F »

It would Alan, but there was no information given except that it took an hour to start. If it kicked back and hurt leg, spend 5 mins hopping around cursing, thats only 12 kicks in an hour!
Sticking auto advance unit would produce this result, starts easy when working correctly but hard to start when stuck fully advanced.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Assuming from what you say it runs OK when it is running, it would seem best to look at the sparks dept. Pay attention to the plug & leads, points, condensor and ensure all are OK or renewed. I believe this was the first year of coil ignition so that may also be suspect? Is the battery in good condition ie holding a charge of 6+v

Have you got a manual for your bike. If not you can get a copy manual from www.brucemainsmith.com .

Hope this helps keep on at it and it will eventually reward you.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

quote:Originally posted by Andrew Murphy

I have recently bought myself a 1957 G3LS which is only running when it wants to. It starts second kick one day and after an hour the next, there is a new carb on it, and it runs quite sweetly there appears to be a healthy spark, fuel etc

can anyone help please as to why it doesn't like starting all the time

MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I don't know why you think you have a problem Andrew, my Twingle has been a pig to start for years, I don't call it my exercise bike for nothing. It's normally worse when our section Chairman is around.