Foot Brake Switch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Ixy

Foot Brake Switch

Post by Ixy »

I have a G3LS 1961. The foot brake switch has expired (and melted)! It's mounted on a small right angled bracket onto the rear foot rest with the spring going to the rod pivot point. Is this the standard way? and will the universal foot brake switch from the Club spares do the job [?]

Colin Hicks.

Eric

Foot Brake Switch

Post by Eric »

The original fitment of what was an optional extra at one time used a special bracket located on the rear wheel spindle with a Lucas switch. I know the switches can still be purchased as replicas or original (Now Expensive) but dont know about the brackets. Not sure about the club spares item give them a ring they are quite friendly and dont bite.

silverarrow

Foot Brake Switch

Post by silverarrow »

That is exactly how it is mounted on my H/wt Single and the Club spares scheme item should directly replace your originally fitted item.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
Colin F

Foot Brake Switch

Post by Colin F »

As this was an optional extra when these bikes were new but has now become an MOT requirement there are many variations around, a lot using the univeral type switch as you describe. The original bracket and switch to fit the rear whell spindle are available from the club.
Just as a reminder to anyone a stop light working off one brake is required on all bike first registered or manufactured after 1936 and on both brakes on any bike manufactured after 1986.