1958 16ms gearbox leak

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chas

1958 16ms gearbox leak

Post by chas »

I appear to have developed a leak from the kickstart axle, is the "o" ring replacement a simple task?
cheers
charlie
bjork

1958 16ms gearbox leak

Post by bjork »

Yes, it is quite simple,but it's worth taking the cover off and getting it machined to take a lip seal.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
chas

1958 16ms gearbox leak

Post by chas »

thanks steve, I will give it a go

charlie
Eric

1958 16ms gearbox leak

Post by Eric »

Steve you must tell me how to change the "O" ring without taking the cover off. But otherwise I agree with you. I suspect that they always leaked even with good "O" rings. Malcolm Saggers 01638 602645 was the man for converting to lip seals on the kickstart and gear lever, he did mine a few years ago. One tip make very very sure you get the selector spring round the right way when you put everything back, while I cannot see why it should make any difference it does and things just dont work right if you do it wrong.
bjork

1958 16ms gearbox leak

Post by bjork »

Ahh well, what I meant to say was...........About that spring question though,if you look at the spring it has a taper on one edge only and that is needed to clear the,oh wot's it called?And if it don't it won't.Still who needs an oil tight gearbox anyway!Gives us something to talk about with people who only own modern bikes,innit?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today