New to my AJ...help needed..

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Adrian Pancaldi

Post by Adrian Pancaldi »

Hi Neil, I would familiarise myself with the model as much as possible. I would put some oil in the barrel and work the kick starter (but only after the sump has been drained,read on!). Try the same oil as you would use in the engine in the primary. Wet sumping may be why your primary is leaking so profusely. This is when oil makes its way past the oil pump into the crankcase sump. After four and a half years it probably has happened, so I would drop the oil from the motor (if any more than a cupful comes out some level of wet sumping has occurred ) ,I would also drain any remaining oil from the oil tank and flush it and the lines, being careful to replace the correct line to the the correct banjo. After refilling the oil tank with the correct amount of oil , I would then add a third of a cup of oil through the spark plug hole and kick the bike over with the spark plug out at least a dozen times ,(personally I would try about fifty) remembering that as much oil you can pump through the motor before starting it the better. I would also consider draining and refilling the gearbox with oil, and drain the fuel tank and clean out the carburettor before starting.
Hope this helps
Adrian
Adrian Pancaldi

Post by Adrian Pancaldi »

Hi Neil ,your AJ has a positive earth system. You should be connecting the earth to the positive terminal on the battery, and vice versa . The positive cable should be bolted to the frame in the casting where the spine meets the rear down tube(ie;connect this cable to the positive of your battery). If I were you, I would buy a workshop manual and join the club(if you haven't already). Turn up on a few of your nearest section 's runs (even if it were on your Harley at first), meet a few people ,you will inevitably find someone who has the same model or similar and will be happy to offer advice etc. This will be the surest way of getting to know your dad's bike and enjoying it to the fullest extent. Some of the little foibles such as positive earths etc can be the difference between loving and hating a machine.
Cheers
Adrian
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Agree with all said so far except it is best to use a 30 grade oil in the chaincase a 10-30 will do which most accessory shops sell. A 50 grade can tend to make the clutch plates stick. Use straight 50 engine oil and get "Non detergent" type. the gearbox can use the smae stuff.

Before attempting to start the machine do take out the plug and put in a little oil into the cylinder and leave overnight. Rather than kicking over the bike 50 or so times to get the oil circulating a good tip is to put the bike in gear with the plug still out and push it up and down the drive until you see oil returning back to the tank. Only expect a dribble and spurts of oil, that is normal!

Regards,.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
RogerNorman

Post by RogerNorman »

Even better for the chaincase would be ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). Never had a sticking plate since I've used it. Just fill up enough so that the chain dips into the oil on the bottom run. I would also clean the points up before kicking the life out of the machine (and knackering yourself) and have a look at the plug cap - amazing where spiders and verdigree can collect. I guess you have already put a new battery on the shopping list. If its not been run for 4 years or more almost cerainly the plates will have oxidised. Have fun - you won't regret it.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Yes 12v is worth it and best to use a low wattage halogen bulb to ensure good udeable charging rates. Direct replace bulbs available in 25/25w and 35/35w.

In the gearbox use the same oil as for the engine.

Les Smith
Keep smiling