Anyone still riding an AMC machine all year?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Post by clive »

I used to drive my G3L to work everyday, winter and summer and have done so on an AMC machine for most of the last 20 years. In June I managed to smash my thigh in two places after clipping a parked car and I am not yet back on a bike. I have however been thinking that maybe its time to call it a day for daily commuting in London and only use my bike at the weekends etc. So does that mean that the very last AMC owner has stopped using the bikes for the purpose that they were originally supplied, riding to work each day? Or is there anyone else out there still riding to work on an AMC machine summer and winter? I hope so. Clive
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bjork

Post by bjork »

Hi Clive, hope you're healing well. Don't worry some AMC bikes are still being used for honest work! I use my own G80L, 1948 rigid, (leather seats air con etc) for work almost exclusively. I must confess though that this is not in London, but a market town in the east midlands. Although I do occasionally commute into Leicester on it, even using the M1 when it looks gridlocked enough. Interestingly I have seen a few other old clunkers being used too. One of them a well used looking Jampot single that regularly filtered through the traffic in Loughborough and have also seen immaculate Velos and a Vincent twin on a number of occasions being commuted in crummy weather!Some people say they won't use their classics in modern traffic as they don't have indicators, but I still find hand signals are understood out here in the sticks.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Janet

Post by Janet »

No, because it isn't running, but I do alternate between the Honda and the LE Velocette.
AJSBSA

Post by AJSBSA »

Yes I ride to work on my 1955 18s every day I find it is perfect for filtering through the traffic and the fact that it is so noisy makes filtering safer in my opinion than a modern bike. I have yellow reflective strips on my gloves to ensure my hand signals are seen and I ride with parking lights on.
At the first sign of the council salting the roads cover it with grease and I normaly wash it off in the easter bank holiday.
I have done this for the last 8 years although I do have 1950 Sunbeam S8 as back up but as you all know a regulary used bike is much more reliable than one used every now and then.
clive

Post by clive »

Glad to read some people are still using them for work. Hoping to MOT mine soon and get back on two wheels again after 6 months "break". Snow delayed it this week!! Still thinking that it will be weekends only though.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix