model 16ms

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

model 16ms

Post by clive »

I think you may find a 350 is a bit under powered for pulling even a sports chair. certainly you will have to drop down on the drive sprocket size, this of course then limits your top speed. I pull a large double adult chair with a 500 single, and this has the smaller 18 tooth engine spocket fitted (from the 350). Even so with just one passenger I have to slip the clutch to pull away in first. top speed around 60 unless there is a hill. You have a problem in that they did make lower geared engine sprockets but they are few and far between ( I have a 15 tooth one on a trials machine). The alternative would be to change the gearbox sprocket.
I would go for the lightest chair you can get for a 350 although that will leave you with the problem of it lifting on the corners. A bag of sand when you do not have a passenger should sort that out. Good luck Clive
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
stubbs

model 16ms

Post by stubbs »

John
I converted, during a recent rebuild from scratch, my 1954 16ms to coil springs. Although I have only done some 300 miles since, seems to have made no difference to the performance. I got the complete kit [springs and seats] from Russels at Clapham Junction.
Best of luck with your sidecar on a 350. Hope you live in East Anglia where its all flat
Biscuit
Deceased

model 16ms

Post by Biscuit »

If they attach a sidecar to a Vel, oops, Vespa .......

Charles.
Deceased

model 16ms

Post by Charles. »

I also have fitted coil valve springs to my 1959 M 16
No problems -so far it seems to run quieter. I got the kit from Russell Motors of Clapham, the cost was about £30. I think it uses WD Matchless valve springs & valve spring coller with the standard collets & valve, its only the valve spring seat that is non standard. I think that Russels developed it when there was a shortage of the hairpin type valve springs.