G3LS exhaust/silencer

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Biscuit
Deceased

G3LS exhaust/silencer

Post by Biscuit »

My exhaust system (Armours) is a little to loud. There would appear to be enough of the pipe inside the silencer to blank off the end and drill some holes. has anyone done this, if so, how many holes and of what diameter.

TommoT

G3LS exhaust/silencer

Post by TommoT »

Yes, at some time this was part of the original set-up. The pipe itself was long enough to go well into the silencer. This section would then be drilled and/or partially or fully blanked off. Expereriment a bit with number of holes and blanking plug to achieve desired result.

Tom M. (TM)
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
moley

G3LS exhaust/silencer

Post by moley »

I think armours do what they call a pipe mute, which is cylinder shaped with holes in it and blanking bit on the end which you bang it into the end of the pipe. I did this with a g11 and it sounded a lot better, i think there a about a fiver! good luck
Biscuit
Deceased

G3LS exhaust/silencer

Post by Biscuit »

Thanks Tom and Andrew. I was aware of the mutes, which I have on the G11, trying save pennies!. After Tom's reply, I looked in the spares book and the pipe appeared to have 4 rows of 8 holes. Didn't have the pipe length for 4 x 8. so did 8 rows of 4 x 7/32" D. with the end blanked off. Sounds more civilised now.