1958 Matchless G3LS - engine noise

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bmwill

Post by bmwill »

I rebuilt the engine 10,000 miles ago and there is a whinning developed at approx 9800 miles, thinking this could have been the clutch it was stripped and rebuilt, and I also marked the inner chaincase with egineer blue to see if the clutch was catching, the clutch basket did not catch case. I then removed the clutch and primary chain, and sterted the engine, when the engine was revved the Whinning seemed to be pitched with engine revs. To my mind the bearings seem to be the cause, but I find this odd as it has had 5 oil changes in the 10,000 miles - any comments?
clive

Post by clive »

I have sent a reply direct but for others I think it is likely to be the small timing cog on the end of the timing side shaft. They whine if you strip a tooth. They will continue to run for a while with one tooth missing but all hell lets loose when more go.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bmwill

Post by bmwill »

Clive,
I have rebuilt the engine and as was expected it was the two driveside bearings, which I had allready ordered from club spares. useing the strip rebuild as a guide and my instruction book made notes and observations. the inside of engine had a coating of black oil on insides and the piston had started to gum the rings up ( this was after only 2500 miles) and in the 10000 miles it had had 5 oil changes. the outer of the bearings was in worse condition. Well after the rebuild the engine started with no problems and return was checked ok, a short 5 mile run useing two steady gradiants as a test for pulling was no problem, but will take for a longer run to fine tune the timing as i am now trying a 21 tooth sprocket. Will let you know how things go latter. This message is from a internet cafe as my computer is uot of commission for a couple of weeks.

Take care
Barry.