Lead-free petrol

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
panikabu

Lead-free petrol

Post by panikabu »

I have recently bought a 1954 G3LS here in Malaysia, which seems to run quite nicely. However I am concerned about the use of lead-free petrol. There are very few outlets that sell leaded petrol here (I haven't found one yet, although I am told they exist...), but it is possible to buy an additive from Shell stations that replaces the lead - via an injection into each tankful. Does anyone have a comment on the need to use such an additive?
Thanks in advance for your help and input.
33d6

Lead-free petrol

Post by 33d6 »

Hi,
The lead free petrol debate is basically irrelevant in your case. Your engine has an alloy cylinder head that was fitted with hardened valve seats from new. You are worrying about a non existent problem. After 50 years on the road it may need head work through general wear & tear but that has nothing to do with the lead content of petrol. Just ride it and if it the cylinder valves/valve seat are worn out then (a) head work on a single cylinder engine is as cheap as you can get and (b) any routine head work done will be automatically compatible with lead free petrol whether you like it or not. For our sort of bike the lead free nonsense is a non issue. Ride and enjoy!
Cheers, BOB