Matchless G3L ex WD - Carburettor

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rohan B.

Post by Rohan B. »

275 or 276 ?

Someone on the Yahoo Matchless chat group mentioned that they recently obtained the correct WD 7/8" Amal from someone like Richard Gaunt, or Russell Motors in London. Some is making new 276 carbs also, so maybe this will be one of the sizes considered ?

It was said the size was reduced to 7/8" to reduce the fuel consumption and increase torque, important factors in those fuel-rationed times..

hopethishelps,
Rohan.
33d6

Post by 33d6 »

Hi Gareth,
The right carburettor for your WD G3L is no more harder to get than any other Amal. Of course the degree of effort varies according to where you live but I've never found any problem locating early Amal parts as long as you are willing to broaden your search.
Insofar as your concerns about the 7/8" size issue. This was standard size on early Matchless 350's up until the mid-late thirties when the factory increased the size to a 1" carburettor. Various stories float around as to why they went back to the 7/8" size on the WDG3L, most relate to economy, standardisation, detuning the bike so M20 riders could cope with it and so on. I don't think we will ever know the true reason (or even if there was one). Anyway, 7/8" is definitely not an uncommon size of Amal carburettor . I suggest you approach the VMCC Library who can provide all the info you will ever need to know about your WD G3L. Cheers, BOB