Worn Fork Stanchions?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
alanengineer

Re: Worn Fork Stanchions?

Post by alanengineer »

Clive is right. The tubes now have a recognised weakness and best discarded for use on a motorcycle. New ones are expensive, but they are peace of mind that will do the job that they were made for.Change them now whilst new ones are available
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Our bikes tend to be rather 'agricultural' and over engineered, you need to bear this in mind.

The marks are in areas not subject to very much stress and as such I would happily re-install them.

If there is a slight set, (bend), in both legs and you don't have access to a press, identify the outside of the bow and align this to the rear of both legs when you install them, normal use will then 'correct' this.

If you do decide to replace the stanchions make sure you get ones made from high tensile steel, I believe there are mild steel inferior copies around.

Regards Mick
Cakeboy

Post by Cakeboy »

I've decided to replace them. There is a slight bend in them, but I'll try and straighten them for possible reuse if ever get another - (Sorry Alan).
Thanks for the comments.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just a follow on, I've other things on with mechanical matters, but plan to do some work on the forks once this sorted.

It's a long time since I replaced the bushes and although there's no play, I do have some leakage on one leg past the upper seal. Thing is, I recall that there was rust damage to the stanchions just above the bottom yoke - water will have laid there at some time. So picking up on Cakeboy's thread, what might be an acceptable reduction in thickness?

I know mine had a bend as I needed to rotate them, as mentioned earlier, to get proper operation.

Johnny B