Alternative for a lucas dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Ian Stack.

Post by Ian Stack. »

Having restored a G3LS 1950 with electrics,I have little faith in the chain drive lucas dynamo,& since you have to disassemble virtually half the engine to access the dynamo In the likely event of failure,I decided to fit an empty unit purely for cosmetic reasons.I currently run 12v electrics which is fine but am wondering if there is a device on the market,maybe a bolt on accessory,for charging.eg push bikes now can run a simple dynamo hub (ac of course)but easily rectified!Any ideas out there?Cheers,Ian Stack.
Jordan Princic.

Post by Jordan Princic. »

Only idea I have is the one you don't want to hear - recondition the standard dynamo. They are really very reliable.
RogerNorman

Post by RogerNorman »

The alternative although I havent acually seen it done on an AMC is to change over to a Criterion Alternator. There was an article in Jampot a few years ago about them. They are marketed in France I believe and give out I think about 200 watts as opposed to 60!. The conversion is common in the Velocette world. The radius in the crankcases for the dynamo is the same as the dynamo. If your desperate for a change it may be worth a try.
velocette

Post by velocette »

I have just seen the response from Roger Norman and he is mistaken when he refers to the Criterion Alternator being a replacement for the Lucas dynamo. I have fitted this alternator to my VENOM, it is provided by a Velo club member who is based near Swindon and is approx.twice the diameter of the standard dynamo. This is not a problem on a velo but rules out fitting on AMC models. The device he refers to is of French origin, I believe it is called an ALTON or something similar. It was originally was developed for Vincents and is almost identical in dimensons and appearance to the original Lucas item.