Head steady.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Yak

Head steady.

Post by Yak »

Hi
Just received a head steady and clip from AMC spares. To my surprise it is a strip of sturdy metal with a right angle bend which fits over one of the central rocker cover bolts. The brackets I have seen fit over both central bolts. There is no picture I can find in the 1947 spares list. My concern is as it is attached to the single bolt would this cause excessive pressure on the one spot and lead to cracking? The bike does vibrate thro the handle bars which I didn't think was too bad until a friend rode it and commented, so I thought I'd get the bracket. Hoping to draw on others experience.
Thanks
Ray
Rob Harknett

Re: Head steady.

Post by Rob Harknett »

I too have only seen the head steady that fits on two bolts. But that is on alloy heads. Your 1947 bike has an Iron head with a different rocker box.
I have no idea what the iron head head steady was like or if it even had a steady. The iron head rocker box does not have the two studs that the alloy head rocker box has, which are threaded at the top, to take the two hole head steady with two nut fixing.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you look at the 1947 Spares List text you'll see that there is only one fixing (STD-4 Nut) at the rocker box.
(Edit. Ah, Ive just noticed that the stay is shown as only on the 500's so it would seem that a stay was not fitted to 350's :? ).

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... 16M_18.pdf
Rocker box stay.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yak

Post by Yak »

Thanks Rob Spriddler and Dave.
I was aware only the 500 came with the steady, however I didn't notice referrence to the single threaded bolt only. Fitting to a 350 is made mention in AMC's spares list so I thought I'd give it a go. The Haycraft manual is one I haven't been thro so a more reading to come.
Since posting I have ridden with the steady fitted. There may be a little less vibration but I can live with whats there, and hope my fears of cracking the rocker box are unfounded.
Cheers Ray.