WD G3L Sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Shaun Paterson.

WD G3L Sliders

Post by Shaun Paterson. »

Hello all,

can anyone help with the following query: I have a pair of Teledraulic alloy sliders (wd G3L, 350) in average to good condition, the only problem is that the thread on the inside of the top ( where they screw into the covers) is non-existent. My question is, can they be resleeved and re-tapped? or, what other options have I in restoring these wd G3L fork sliders??

Thankyou

Shaun

Jordan Princic.

WD G3L Sliders

Post by Jordan Princic. »

Might be a case for Loctite.
Colin F

WD G3L Sliders

Post by Colin F »

Ouch!!!
Loctite is Ok for securing a thread... I wouldn't want to try riding a bike that has had it's forks held together by just loctite.
Kieran Enright.

WD G3L Sliders

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Loctite is not "just for securing a thread." There are a whole bunch of different types, some of which are designed to hold very heavily loaded assemblies together. Some of them are stronger than a first class welding job. Having said that, there two things you must do; one, make damn sure you get the right grade for the job; two, make sure the surfaces are clinically clean, and follow the makers instructions to the letter.
To work out what grade of Loctite you need, the suppliers would want to know what sort of load it would need to withstand, what materials you want to join, and VERY IMPORTANT, how big is the gap or clearance between the mating surfaces.
To illustrate how tough Loctite can be, I've seen a case of a steel stud which was locked into a steel plate with the wrong grade of Loctite (one meant for permanent assemblies), and when they tried to unscrew the stud, the 5/8" dia. stud twisted like a corkscrew, and finally a fist-sized chunk of steel tore out of the backplate, but the Loctite didn't let go! And that WASN'T the strongest grade they make, either!