DVR2 Regulator/Rectifier

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jackstringer

DVR2 Regulator/Rectifier

Post by jackstringer »

I am in the process of fitting a DVR2 Regulator/Rectifier but I am having a little bit of an issue working out which wires are the field winding and armature wires.

I have a '61 G3LS with one of these currently connected,
rectifier.png
I am not faffing with 12V conversion yet.

Matchless Rectifier is
Green Black >
Brown Purple >
Green White >

DVR2 is
Bown+White >
Green >
Yellow >
Red = Earth to Chassis (+earth)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: DVR2 Regulator/Rectifier

Post by dave16mct »

You seem to be very confused! A '61 G3LS should have an alternator with a rectifier. A DVR2 regulator is for a dynamo system. You need a modern regulator/rectifier such as Podtronics etc. I would strongly advise changing to 12 volts at this stage. It simplifies everything.
Dave.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I thought that when I started looking at things, doesn't help most of the manuals seem to show both options on the bikes.

I don't want to go 12V, its a 6V bike and I am happy with it that way. -Just as grumpy with people saying just use metric bolts.

Not to worry, I can use it on the '57 AJS that does have a Mag. Just assumed that it was a Reg/Rec.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Ive had one of these fitted to my 61 G80 (6v system) for several years now and it's been no bother at all. Alan Osborne is extremely helpful with advice etc. Highly recommended.
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/a_reg.htm

Steve
Groily

Post by Groily »

+ 1 for the A Reg stuff.
Very reliable and good value. Have used a good few at 12v and a couple at 6. No problems ever, yet. Good opportunity to simplify the wiring at the same time and eliminate a good few points of possible failure.