Historical AMC Dealers

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
59G3LS

Historical AMC Dealers

Post by 59G3LS »

I've had my 56 16MS authenticated by this club, it still has the original frame, engine and gearbox from 1956.
When I purchased it, I was told it came to Australia from Singapore but the plates are certainly Malaysian, from the Selangor region.
I'd love to know how it got there... My certificate names the dealer as "Palmer" Does anyone have any clues?

Regards - Mark - Perth Australia ex UK
Stan Palmer

Re: Historical AMC Dealers

Post by Stan Palmer »

Well it's definitely not this Palmer. A lot of bikes, and other machinery, got to the outer regions through the Crown Agents. It might be worth checking that out. I would think there are some records available but I don't know how to access them.
I am about to digress: The Crown Agents were going strong until the mid 70's, then they made some losses and a few at the top tried to recoup the money by illegal currency dealing. They we're doing well until a sudden dip (look Whats happened with Corona virus) dropped them right in it and led to curtailment of activity and eventual privatisation.
Stan palmer
59G3LS

Re: Historical AMC Dealers

Post by 59G3LS »

Thanks for the history lesson Stan! I'll have a dig around... Of course Palmer may have been a UK dealer and the original owner may purchased locally and taken the bike abroad with him... Who knows?