Matchless G3L 1941

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
CAF199

Matchless G3L 1941

Post by CAF199 »

Hi people,

I've recently sold on a 1941 Matchless G3L i'm just looking for more information on this bike as i'm not too familiar i've only spent a brief while looking into it, seems like an interesting machine. The original green paint from when it was built can be seen through the black paint and all the bits on it look pretty original. Just thought you guys might want a look. Been garaged untouched for the last 30 years.

Cheers!
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless G3L 1941

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Calum.
I'm no authority and there are other club members better informed but in short I understand that the engines on all WD contract bikes were stamped '41' for 1941 regardless of actual manufacturing/supply date. The 'B' added to the engine number is a military/MOD feature and is believed to denote that the bike had Bowden air and ignition timing levers fitted on the h/bars.
There's more history and tech info about them here:

http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/the-g3-wo- ... f-history/

Thousands of surplus bikes (Army, Naval, Fire Service) were auctioned after the war, roughly repainted black for the civvy market. Here are just a few...….

Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Not just after the war I am pretty sure some were auctioned off in large batches in the early 1980s
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I had this item on my watch list on ebay but it vanished , shame I was going to have a bid on it.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think you will find, B would have been stamped by AMC if Bowden levers were used instead of Amal. Stamping a letter which refered to a non std. part fitted was done 1930's onwards. You may come accross quite a few WD and early post war 40's bikes with a R. believed to mean Roller engine bearings.
The engine number is from WD contract number C 1050. Use the C 1050 parts list for this engine ( The complete bike when it was all original, which it ay not be now )
Contract No. C 1050 was for 9000 bikes, delivery to commence October 1st 1942. Note the engine prefix is 41. All WD G3/L engines were prefixed 1941. The frame number will also prove which contract it came from. So it would be a bonus if the frame an engine has stayed together during war time and ever since.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Re the B stamping, F W Neill states in Matchless Motorcycles chapter VI page 106 " Engines with B included in the engine number indicate a plain bush, the latest type".
Makes more sense than Bowden cables.
Thanks to Barry Robinson (Hampshire) for the info.
CAF199

Post by CAF199 »

Frame number was: 57252
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

What year is the Neil book Les?
Why not look at the 1941 Contract no. C1050 parts list Note it list Bowden also Amal levers.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

les ward wrote: F W Neill states in Matchless Motorcycles chapter VI page 106 " Engines with B included in the engine number indicate a plain bush, the latest type".
Certainly more logical than it referring to which h/bar levers were fitted which I've always thought would be pretty obvious.
If the 'B' refers to a plain timing side bush it does support the belief that the 'R' stamp indicates that the engine has the alternative of a roller bearing.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

les ward wrote:Re the B stamping, F W Neill states in Matchless Motorcycles chapter VI page 106 " Engines with B included in the engine number indicate a plain bush, the latest type".
Makes more sense than Bowden cables.
Thanks to Barry Robinson (Hampshire) for the info.
The WD bikes had a plain bush, so no need to stamp B to tell about that. Did the bike year the Neils book refers to not have a plain bush, so there was a need. Note we are referring to a WD bike with a B stamped. Perhaps factory records may show if a bike had any thing non std fitted.