Clutch Advice Needed - gears graunching - no adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: Clutch Advice Needed - gears graunching - no adjustment

Post by Mick D »

Hi

By nipples moving I was implying that the soldered joint may have broken and the nipple slid along the inner, but assuming they haven't and that you have correctly adjusted the clutch, (which seems to be the case), my diagnosis would be that the cable inner is too long.
You can move the nipple but it's a bit of a faff cleaning the inner well enough to get a good joint, if it's liveable now I'd suggest getting a replacement cable on order and fitted as soon as is practicable.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As Mick said a better fitting cable should do it.
The purists won't like it but for now (hmm, or for longer if it was me :oops: ) you might be able to get more 'throw' by fitting an extra ball bearing for the thrust rod. :o
Is the bike new to you?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

SPRIDDLER wrote:you might be able to get more 'throw' by fitting an extra ball bearing for the thrust rod.
Hi

An extra ball won't change the relationship of inner to outer - if this is the problem the inner needs to be shortened, or the outer lengthened ;)

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ah yes, you're quite right Mick. I was misinterpreting Jai's problem to be that he had run out of adjustment at the adjuster screw in the centre of the pressure plate.
(Was in a rush to get out to our section Club Night. Serves me right for reading with one eye on the screen and the other on me bit o' smoked 'addock. :roll: ).
Jai

Post by Jai »

Thank You Spriddler and Mick.

I ran the bike up today with my newly found 8mm of slack in the cable at the clutch lever adjuster.

There was a little graunching when going into gear and there's a new problem.

With the bike running and the clutch held in the bike is reluctant to roll backwards. Also, it feels like it wants to "take off" when held on the clutch and I blip the throttle.

I'm hoping this is just another adjustment somewhere but I don't know where.

Can you offer further suggestions please?

Thanks,

Jai
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Jai

That will be another symptom; the clutch is dragging, i.e. the plates are not separating properly,so there is always some drive to the rear wheel.

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Jai. Apologies for the third time of asking but is the bike new to you? It will help to understand whether an incorrect cable may have been fitted by the PO.
It seems that you're not getting enough 'lift' from the cable to free the clutch plates.
A h/bar lever having an adjuster at the h/bar lever is not a standard lever. That doesn't matter if you have a matching cable.
Can you (you should be able to) adjust the cable adjusters to remove all slack in the cable?
When the clutch is operated with the engine running the outer (pressure) plate should spin in one plane. If not the clutch springs should be adjusted to true up the spinning plates.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jai

Post by Jai »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Jai. Apologies for the third time of asking but is the bike new to you? It will help to understand whether an incorrect cable may have been fitted by the PO.
It seems that you're not getting enough 'lift' from the cable to free the clutch plates.
A h/bar lever having an adjuster at the h/bar lever is not a standard lever. That doesn't matter if you have a matching cable.
Can you (you should be able to) adjust the cable adjusters to remove all slack in the cable?
Hi Spriddler, this is not a new bike to me; I've had it for years. It's a trials bike and it doesn't have a factory cable but the one that's on there (made by me) is in good condition and was previously the correct length (both inner and outer) and worked perfectly before. I know what you're saying about lift but I'm not sure where any extra "length" would've come from in the cable.

cheers,

Jai
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

O.K. Jai. Thanks. Very strange. Without sight of it I can't think of anything other than what you've already checked (loose basket nut etc.). As you say, cables don't stretch that much.
I can only add that when I set the adjustment at the pressure plate screw and locknut I only back it off a quarter of a turn from its contact with the thrust rod but I can't see that your backing it off half a turn would cause the dragging that you have.
Jai

Post by Jai »

I'll try a quarter and see what difference it makes Spriddler; I've got nothing to lose by trying it.

If I screw the springs in more will that sure the dragging do you think?