Can't get into neutral.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: Can't get into neutral.

Post by 1608 »

I'm curious as to know how the item has been improved.
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

1608 wrote:I'm curious as to know how the item has been improved.
I'll have to ask AMC classic spares, I'd be interested to know thee difference myself....

Top of page 6

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Gearbox.pdf
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

1608 wrote:I'm curious as to know how the item has been improved.
NaughtyNetley wrote:I'll have to ask AMC classic spares, I'd be interested to know thee difference myself
Hi

Me too, please let us know what Steve says.

That said, if he's prepared to promote it then I'm sure it will be beneficial.

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

I haven't been able to find out what difference there is between the two clutch spiders that are advertised but I have bought one of the "improved" ones and there's no discernable difference.
I would welcome any hints and tips as to how to put the shock rubbers in though please.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

NaughtyNetley wrote:I would welcome any hints and tips as to how to put the shock rubbers in though please.
Just search 'Clutch rubbers' on this website (use spyglass top right) and scroll through the 11 pages of how others do it:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/search.php? ... mit=Search

Simples! ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks Spriddler, I had done a search but didn't get the YouTube video. Excellent and helpful. Unfortunately I don't have any old clutch plates as this is my first British bike and my friend who may have them is working in France, bugger!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, you're a bit out of the way so no local members to lend you one. You could buy a used one from AMC Classic Spares or perhaps the club spares service who have some s/h parts.
Maybe a member will offer one to keep or just to borrow.........
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's possible to fit the rubbers without any special tooling:

First remove any burrs from the spider or hub
Lube the rubbers with red rubber grease
Fit the larger three first
Wedge the spider with a suitably sized screwdriver in one of the smaller rubber voids
Fit two of the smaller rubbers
When fitting the last smaller one use a thin knife blade to start it off and then push into place with something blunt

Regards Mick
Steven S

Post by Steven S »

With reference to NaughtyNetley's post saying that he's bought an 'improved' shock absorber centre but can't tell the difference, I thought I better clear this one up. He didn't buy it from me, so I have no idea as to whether it is the later, improved version or not but the difference is quite significant.

If you look in the workshop manual, it very helpfully states: "If the mainshaft nut securing the clutch to the mainshaft works loose, this is due to damage to the splines in clutch centre for the shock absorber 040354. To remedy, replace the centre and avoid over-tightening the mainshaft nut". The factory obviously realised this wasn't a very helpful solution, so instead of having raised splines to act as a stop on the mainshaft - which are always worn - for 043443 they fitted a thick washer in the centre which acted as a more positive stop and didn't wear to the same extent. I don't see any point in remanufacturing 040354 as the same problem will occur.

Regards
Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Steven S wrote:With reference to NaughtyNetley's post saying that he's bought an 'improved' shock absorber centre but can't tell the difference, I thought I better clear this one up. He didn't buy it from me, so I have no idea as to whether it is the later, improved version or not but the difference is quite significant.

If you look in the workshop manual, it very helpfully states: "If the mainshaft nut securing the clutch to the mainshaft works loose, this is due to damage to the splines in clutch centre for the shock absorber 040354. To remedy, replace the centre and avoid over-tightening the mainshaft nut". The factory obviously realised this wasn't a very helpful solution, so instead of having raised splines to act as a stop on the mainshaft - which are always worn - for 043443 they fitted a thick washer in the centre which acted as a more positive stop and didn't wear to the same extent. I don't see any point in remanufacturing 040354 as the same problem will occur.

Regards
Steve
Exactly as they did with the lightweight centres.