Front wheel bearing wear

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
gotoole

Front wheel bearing wear

Post by gotoole »

spindle wear.jpg
Just a quick question. I cant find any definitive in the service books.
I am ready to replace front wheel bearing cup and oil seals on 1960 full width hub wheel. ( model 16). There is about 160 thou (4mm ) lateral movement in each bearing , photo attached. Is this excessive or within acceptable range. I know I can probably take up this play with the adjuster ring but I wonder if this amount of play is too extreme and I should replace the spindle.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Front wheel bearing wear

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Re-assemble the hub and see if the adjuster takes up the play, if it does all well and good, if it doesn't look for a replacement spindle assembly.

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

the club has these in stock.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have adjusted these bearings up until able to see wear or become rusted and pitted. I have only changed front bearings once. That was after 7 years ( about 90,000 miles from when the bike was new. Probably due to riding in flood mucky waters and potholes for 7 winters. The bearings could be heard due to pitting etc.
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Thanks all,
I will see if I can take up the adjustment

regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

gotoole wrote:Thanks all,
I will see if I can take up the adjustment

regards
Give them a good clean and pack with grease on re assembly. If you go by the book doing the adjusting. If you had to get an M o T, some testers may say the bearings are worn and need replacing because of the amount of play. I had to explain the bearings are tapered and adjustable. I felt the bearing play and said. I may need to take up a bit more play, now they have settled, having just been cleaned and repacked with grease. He was happy with that. But still insisted, they sounded a bit worn. I heard no worn / pitted bearing sound.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Surely the 'wear' is the normal slack resulting from the assembly method used to fit the roller cage when it was made. I have seen several of these axle/bearing units and the cage and rollers always have some play in them, it is all taken up when put in place. The slack means you can jiggle things about a bit to examine the rollers and tracks to check they are in good nick, which is what counts. Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy51 wrote:Surely the 'wear' is the normal slack resulting from the assembly method used to fit the roller cage when it was made. I have seen several of these axle/bearing units and the cage and rollers always have some play in them, it is all taken up when put in place. The slack means you can jiggle things about a bit to examine the rollers and tracks to check they are in good nick, which is what counts. Andy
Those were my thoughts as well.
If you can adjust the bearing satisfactorily and it doesn't grumble or feel gritty or notchy when turning it in the wheel it's probably fine.

Here's a NOS axle (yes it really is NOS) with a similar gap to your 4mm
NOS front axle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Thanks Andy, Sprindler,
That's reassuring. I had originally decided to use the spindle ( they are almost £200!) but I just had no idea if the wear was excessive or ok. I will put it all back together and see if I can take up all the slack ( I am aware I need to back off the adjustment by 1/2 a turn)

thanks again