valve spring removal.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
NaughtyNetley

valve spring removal.

Post by NaughtyNetley »

While I'm waiting to locate the correct oil pump for my G3 I thought I might have a look at the valves. I had a valve spring tool with the bike, the flat one with sides at the one end. I can't figure out how it works. I've seen a diagram but it doesn't help. Can anyone give me some advice please?
SPRIDDLER

Re: valve spring removal.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You can remove them by putting a finger through the middle of the spring coil and pulling up. Watch out for the collets making a bid for freedom.
You can refit without the tool but with the tool which you have....
Hold the tool with the lugs facing up. Lay the spring coil between the lugs with the open ends of the spring facing away from you and below the top 'looped' end. Insert a rocker cover bolt through the holes in the lugs and the spring coil.
Grease and put the crossbar and collets in position on the valve stem. Hook the looped end of the spring under the crossbar and use the tool to lever the open ends of the spring upwards to position them on the baseplate.
I think there are dia's of how to use it in one of the workshop manuals in Christian's Archive but the above note should be all you need.
You may find this article useful:

http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=161

I assume you know that the pump plunger is available from club spares. I wouldn't buy a used one; it's the heart of the engine.

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21049
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:You can remove them by putting a finger through the middle of the spring coil and pulling up. Watch out for the collets making a bid for freedom.
You can refit without the tool but with the tool which you have....
Hold the tool with the lugs facing up. Lay the spring coil between the lugs with the open ends of the spring facing away from you and below the top 'looped' end. Insert a rocker cover bolt through the holes in the lugs and the spring coil.
Grease and put the crossbar and collets in position on the valve stem. Hook the looped end of the spring under the crossbar and use the tool to lever the open ends of the spring upwards to position them on the baseplate.
I think there are dia's of how to use it in one of the workshop manuals in Christian's Archive but the above note should be all you need.
You may find this article useful:

http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=161

I assume you know that the pump plunger is available from club spares. I wouldn't buy a used one; it's the heart of the engine.

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21049

Plungers not in stock yet Nev, but they are in the pipeline so hopefully won't be much longer till they arrive.
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks for that Spriddler, I shall have a go.
Also thanks for the info on oil pumps becoming available soon, I shall keep a close eye on the AMOC pages.
I do have a very good condition (wrong) oil pump. The helical groove is a different width and the driving grooves (?) are at a different angle. I would like to identify it as it may be of use to someone else.
Cheers.
Neil
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You have an 'early' (up to '48 I think but you can check with the 'Model changes' docs in Technical Articles on this site) plunger with a 3/16" groove and which is fitted to singe start timing side axles. You need a unit suitable for a two start axle and the plunger will have a 1/4" groove and be stamped '2S' on the end.

EDIT.

Just checked and it is as said, up to and including '48:

http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=344
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks Spriddler, My bike is a '59 and indeed does have 2S on the base. I was told older bikes were single start, is this not the case?
Neil
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

NaughtyNetley wrote: I was told older bikes were single start, is this not the case?
If the s/h one you bought has a 3/16" groove then yes it's for the early engines, up to and including 1948 as I wrote previously and for your '59 you need a 2S plunger.......
SPRIDDLER wrote:You have [received] an 'early' (up to '48 I think but you can check with the 'Model changes' docs in Technical Articles on this site) plunger with a 3/16" groove and which is fitted to singe start timing side axles. ...........
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Apologies, I thought you were refering to my bike as being early not the plunger, doh!
Thank you.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

NaughtyNetley wrote:Apologies, I thought you were refering to my bike as being early not the plunger, doh!
Thank you.
No prob. Best to make sure. I'm a pre-1948 model with an occasional slow start brain.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

It's not impossible to put the springs back without a tool........ or are my springs cr*p?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.