1947 G3L - Fitting a B52 oil seal to CP Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Madmax2

1947 G3L - Fitting a B52 oil seal to CP Gearbox

Post by Madmax2 »

I understand you can no longer get the correct drive gear bearing seal for my CP Burman gearbox (Oil/grease mix). So I bought a B52 seal and housing from AMC Spares.

Question is, without an exploded view how do I assemble the bearing and seal into the g/box shell?

I assume bearing goes in first, then is there a spacer or not? (currently I don't have a spacer. do I need one?). Then the seal in the seal housing with inner flange facing outward? Not forgetting the centre bush. Then secure with circlip?

Finally what way round does the oil seal go? Spring showing outwards or toward bearing? Looking at a Youtube video of assembling a CP gearbox he appears to assemble with spring outside, but to me that doesn't sound correct.

Hope someone can help.
Mick D

Re: 1947 G3L - Fitting a B52 oil seal to CP Gearbox

Post by Mick D »

tillydog

Post by tillydog »

Madmax2 wrote:I understand you can no longer get the correct drive gear bearing seal for my CP Burman gearbox (Oil/grease mix). So I bought a B52 seal and housing from AMC Spares.

Question is, without an exploded view how do I assemble the bearing and seal into the g/box shell?

I assume bearing goes in first, then is there a spacer or not? (currently I don't have a spacer. do I need one?). Then the seal in the seal housing with inner flange facing outward? Not forgetting the centre bush. Then secure with circlip?

Finally what way round does the oil seal go? Spring showing outwards or toward bearing? Looking at a Youtube video of assembling a CP gearbox he appears to assemble with spring outside, but to me that doesn't sound correct.

Hope someone can help.
You do not need a seal now you can get a modern bearing with a seal in both sides you just take the one out that goes on the inside you do need a spacer they are about half an inch wide and run on the seal you have bought i would still use that because the seal holder goes on after the bearing and fills in the space then fit the circlip i will see who sells the bearing and get back dragonfly sell the spacer
tillydog

Post by tillydog »

tillydog wrote:
Madmax2 wrote:I understand you can no longer get the correct drive gear bearing seal for my CP Burman gearbox (Oil/grease mix). So I bought a B52 seal and housing from AMC Spares.

Hope someone can help.
You do not need a seal now you can get a modern bearing with a seal in both sides you just take the one out that goes on the inside you do need a spacer they are about half an inch wide and run on the seal you have bought i would still use that because the seal holder goes on after the bearing and fills in the space then fit the circlip i will see who sells the bearing and get back dragonfly sell the spacer
They are on ebay and are called the vintage bearing company tell them its for the mainshaft on a cp gearbox but i thought AMC spares sold this sealed bearing the wire on the seal goes towards the bearing use the seal to keep dirt out aswell come back if you need more info
Madmax2

Post by Madmax2 »

Thanks guys. The gearbox is all now back together and looks great.
tillydog

Post by tillydog »

Maax2 wrote:Thanks guys. The gearbox is all now back together and looks great.
Has it got anything inside it it was in bits on saturday