Another Oil Pipe Question

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Duncan

Re: Another Oil Pipe Question

Post by Duncan »

George Kaplan wrote:Are the new washers Dowty washers?
Just a thick washer I believe, I always use PTFE in the threads.
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Rob's comment on avoiding red fiber washers is well placed. There are better ways, and the method below has worked well for me.

Both oil pipes seal on mating faces. The scavenge or return line uses a flared face (olives??), the supply line union uses the crankcase face, and the opposite end another flared joint. Since we are dealing with oil pressures below 2-3 PSI, there is no need to pull these up as tight as humanly possible. When the mating faces are scared or lightly damaged, the gap filling property of Loctite 565 PTFE pipe thread sealant on the face of the female / male joint works wonders. A small tube will last many years.
t1.jpg
The attached youtube video shows the sealing principle at the 7:00 minute mark.

Lastly, install the scavenge line first. You will find there is virtually zero room to fit a wrench, and far too many crankcases are damaged at this juncture.

best wishes,
DC

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Casey
The RideNut
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hi Dixter, thanks for the great information, that's a great help.

Great job on your G80, I watched the whole film.

I have some Delta 333 which I think is the same as Loctite 565. I have some Yamabond and Wellseal for the oil union.

One final question, what is the retractable threading tool holder that you are using in your lathe? It looks like it would make single point threading much easier. I need to get one.

John
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Hi John, thank you for your kind words. I made the retractable tool holder 30 plus years ago following the articles in a wonderful British periodical called The Model Engineer. The designer and author of many lovely articles was Mr. George Thomas. For a decade or two, my sweet wife bought me a subscription and I'd wait for the new issues like a impatient child.

I learned a great deal about machine tools and high quality work from a bunch of frugal old Brits who could make anything from nothing. They have all passed on and no one of that stature came along. I miss those days greatly.

The motorcycle pastime fills that void now, and I really appreciate people keeping these old machines running. I have even grown to like the rivet counters who keep reminding me that there really is a “Proper Way”....

Do you go by John or George?
Ciao, DC
Dick Casey
The RideNut
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hi DC, Thanks for the details regarding the retractable tool holder. I googled it and see that there are a few people who have posted about them and there is a book of George Thomas' designs. I will put it on my (long) to do list.

I looked at some of you other video's, great stuff. I like the finished bike very much.

I go by the name of John but don't mind if people refer to me on here as George. If you are wondering why, I am reluctant to post too many real personal details online so I chose the nom de plume of George Kaplan because George Kaplan doesn't exist. It is a reference to a Hitchcock film, if you google George Kaplan you will see what I mean by him "not existing".

John