Front Magneto Platform Question

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spookefoote1956

Re: Front Magneto Platform Question

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I have a similar platform and had some stainless spacers turned. I could measure them for you if you wish?

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I have a similar platform and had some stainless spacers turned. I could measure them for you if you wish?

Cheers, Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for your very generous offer. If Duncan finds a platform then I obviously wont need dimensions but I might contact you if Duncan hasnt got one.

Re the spacers the query I have is: Is the platform centred on the engine plates? I.e. are the spacers at each side the same length? If you could measure the spacers that would be a great help.

John.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

George Kaplan wrote:
spookefoote1956 wrote:I have a similar platform and had some stainless spacers turned. I could measure them for you if you wish?

Cheers, Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for your very generous offer. If Duncan finds a platform then I obviously wont need dimensions but I might contact you if Duncan hasnt got one.

Re the spacers the query I have is: Is the platform centred on the engine plates? I.e. are the spacers at each side the same length? If you could measure the spacers that would be a great help.

John.
You will only discover spacers required when you come to fit the cover complete with mag, sprocket and chain. And only then. As you only have one single option.
having just assembled the platform ON the bike with mag sprocket chain etc. all in place. Move the assembly side to side until you have the chain in line. THAT is a must. What ever spacers you may believe to be correct, may not be so, if you have a miss match of parts/years /models. You may find spacers theory any side incorrect. you may need spacing between platform and engine plates. Don't forget washers also. Spacing must ensure the chain & sprockets line up.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Thanks Rob. I will get a platform and mag and offer it all up and make the parts to suit the required alignment.

John
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I do agree with Rob but in answer to your question. The platform is not centrally mounted and the spacers are on one side only.

Cheers, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Post by clive »

Also the slots in the platform allow some movement of the magneto to help line up the mag sprocket with the one on the exhaust cam.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John, Found one, if its what you want let me have your address via a private message.
Mag Platform.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hi Duncan, yes thats the one I need. I have sent you a pm.

Thanks very much,

John
Hernan Robayo

Post by Hernan Robayo »

Hello George have you still have this Magneto Platform??
Hr