oil change

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bjimc

oil change

Post by bjimc »

hi all I am new to matchless has any one got photos of the oil tank filters that show them better than the owners hand book and do you remove the sump plug when you do a oil change as can not find a reference to it in the hand book 1955 350 g3 thanks all
Mick D

Re: oil change

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you go to the AMOC Spares link on the front page and then search for the relevant part numbers: 000796, (filter), and 015198, (strainer), you will see photos of both.

As far as draining the sump, I would as I believe it to be good practice.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As you are new to the bike, you have no history. Quite a bit of muck may have settled in the sump. So I would run the engine to get the oil warmed up and thinned a bit, then drain the sump. By then the sump should have returned to its correct level. If drained before running the engine there may also be a lot of "sumped " oil. I always use quite a deep old meat tray just in case there's more oil than expected. Not knowing history, use straight SAE 50. Its summer oil, but then you are unlikely to use the bike much when very cold. If you use a detergent multi grade oil, this will loosen muck that may be in the engine, you do not know about. Clogging up filters, block oil ways. Use a new washer replacing the sump plug. Remember if may take up to 10 minutes ticking over, to refill the sump to correct level, before seeing oil returning to tank. Giving the filter a good wash with petrol should clean it OK.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

I, too, am pretty new to working on engines. I have a 1955 18S and just completed an oil change. However, I wasn't aware of the strainer (015198) mentioned by Mick. Could you tell me where it is?
I'm also putting a 1951 16MS back together: will it require one as well?
Many thanks, Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bjimc

Post by bjimc »

it is in the feed oil line at the base of the tank I am only new to matchless and was asking for photos as to what the pipe was like as the pipes on my bike do not look like the drawings in the books
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi H

You can download the parts list for your bike from here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

It would appear that a strainer is not fitted.

bjmc - Sorry I misunderstood your request, I should have realised when you asked for 'photos of the oil tank filters' you wanted photos of the pipes :roll:

There's a fairly recent discussion here:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =oil+pipes

Regards Mick
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Mick thankyou!
My '51 16MS had a home made anti-sumping valve fitted (actually looked like a gas fitting) which I have removed. Hence I did not have the correct parts for the supply side. From the parts list you helpfully sent, looks like 012081 "Union metal filter oil feed from tank" is the little rascal I require.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bjimc

Post by bjimc »

thanks for that mick