1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mako

Re: 1967 G3 Rear Mudguard fittings

Post by Mako »

A quick couple of pics with original seat and my spare AJS tank (requiring considerable work....). As you can see it all lines up - I have used an old spoke to thread through the grab handle mounts and the mudguard. I have also moved the mudguard to one side so the suspension mounting bolt supports the mudguard in the correct, if slightly off-centre, location.
20170305_124456 small.jpg
20170305_124248 small.jpg
20170305_124241 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That nut looks like part number 023601 - if you give me the dimensions of yours I'll compare them to one of my old ones.

Regards Mick
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Mick,

I'll have to get back to you on the exact dimensions after work, but off the top of my head - it's about ~3/4" long, with a 3/4" hex/head. The thread gauge is the same as the bolt for the top suspension mount with the barrel/smooth outer face being around 3/4" long and approx. 5/8"dia. Great technical jargon for you...

It's a great fit into the mudguard, and If I had another one for the other side I think it would do the job - although obviously I would far rather have it put together correctly!

With regards to the part number - it comes up as 023601 NUT SPACER LOWER PIVOT. This surely is not meant for the mudguard.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

On a 61 G3 there are two part numbers for this nut, 016712 - Nut, top pivot bolt and 023601, Nut, bottom pivot bolt. I'm not sure why there are two numbers as both parts have exactly the same dimensions as far as I can see.
Shock Nut.png
The 'pivots' are the upper and lower attachment points of the rear shock absorbers.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The 1963/4 parts list also shows the top pivot nut as 016712 - this should go through the mudguard and into a recess in the spacer that sits between the lifting handle/mudguard support tube and the mudguard. The ones in your photo look very similar in size to the ones on my 1965 M18 but they have the recess for the sleeve nut to go into. Steve Surbey has the sleeve nuts listed.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi James,

I spoke to Steve Surbey via email this afternoon and he described pretty much what you stated above. I have ordered the sleeve nuts and will attempt to find the second spacer I have somewhere to hopefully get it put together correctly.

Once done I'll post pics for record purposes as it seems a little bit of a dark art that makes perfect sense if there was a decent illustration - especially for the 64-on bikes.

Many thanks for your help.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Parts arrived - ultimately it runed out I was missing one sleeve nut. Bought a shiny new pair from AMC Classics. Thanks for everyone's help.

Next problem is that the tail end of the mudguard appears to be twisted off centre by about an inch to the right side. I reckon that by using spacers at the top mounts I can lose some of the twist, but not enough. Does anyone know of any techniques to straighten the mudguard?

Also found that the extra set of holes to the rear of the grab handles are the right size for my small indidcators to mount to - although with the mudguard twist they look a little odd as they're not horizontal! The last shot with the numberplate also looks a little out of place, and exaggerates the issue mostly because the number plate is simply hanging loosely from its top mount.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Apologies if I've mis-interpreted your last photo, but it looks like you have the sleeve nut on the wrong way around - the hex should be inside the mudguard and the sleeve inside the lifting handle tube, (what are the hexes inside the tubes?).

As far as the mudguard alignment goes - I'd tie / hold it in the correct position whilst the attachments are tightened and see what the result is, it may need a little tweak afterwards but it will be a great improvement of where it sits when everything is loose.

Regards Mick
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hi Mick,

The hex of the sleeve nut is on the outside as the thread on the mounting bolt isn't long enough to have the nut the other way round - the thread starts at the hex end. I realise it should be the other way round but found it had a better fix this way. Then again I guess if i can get it to fit properly the correct way round I should then be able to pull the mudguard into alignment.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Sounds like longer bolts are required, there are plenty of suppliers on the net, I use https://stainlessmiddleton.co.uk if bolts are not available from club spares.