michael 1957 g3 oily rag....

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: michael 1957 g3 Restoration updated !!

Postby Mick D » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 pm

:rofl:

Yeah, you may be right - I'll see you in the cloakroom

Postby raffles » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Starting wise I would order a new set of points and a condenser from the club spares
remember to tell them its a MAG model
Tony

Postby clive » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

Mick D wrote:Hi

The spacer is made out of SRBP, 'Paxolin' is one of it's trade names.

The carb top nut looks cross threaded in your photos, try bulking the thread up with plumber's PTFE tape or insulation tape as suggested earlier if it is.

The magneto may be the cause of your poor running but it's also probably the most expensive to sort - I'd try to eliminate the cheaper options before going to the mag.

Electrical: - Spark plug, suppressor cap, HT lead, points, timing

Fuel: - Carb tuning, fuel filters / strainers

Regards Mick

If the carb top is cross threaded and it certainly looks like it, then this will let in air and cause problems with starting and also make it run roughly once started. I have not been following this thread all the way through but I note that on the 9th May you reported "I cleaned the carb and it now starts 2nd kick". photos put up before that show the carb quite well and the top is definitely not cross threaded. When you have a bike that did start, then you do some work and it doesn't star, always check what you did before moving on to another fault such as the mag. good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix

Postby vn800b » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replys

ive been working on the bike today, and good news its starting better!! i was not opening the throttle a bit to help it start!!, as ive not had to do that before on jap bikes. i put a bit of ptfe tape on the carb top, and that seems ok. ive taken some more pics, but what i would like to ask is about the choke, is the choke meant to drop down all the way to the bottom of the carb??

thanks mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Mick D » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:19 am

Hi

Yes, the baffle should come very close to or touch the bottom of the choke - looks like your cable is too short, possibly due to it being repaired in the past. You could shorten the outer to compensate but it's a bit of a faff when compared to the price of a new cable.

Regards Mick

Postby Pharisee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am

The choke slide position always seems a bit of a compromise. I've found that it's mostly the choke lever on the handlebar that's the limiting factor. There never seems to be enough movement. If you adjust the cable so that the slide touches the bottom in the fully closed position, it doesn't clear the carburettor 'throat' when the lever reaches it's fully open limit. I generally adjust it so that the slide is fully open when it's supposed to be and accept that it's not going to be fully closed at the other extreme.
Having said all that, it's very rare that I have to use the choke to start the bikes anyway. A good 'tickling' is all that's needed.

Postby SPRIDDLER » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 am

Using the choke in this hot (or even cooler) weather may well be a cause of your difficult starting issues.
You may have had to use the choke in the past to counteract the air leak from the cracked carb spacer or the ill-fitting carb top.
I poke badgers with spoons.

Postby vn800b » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:50 pm

hi
thanks for the, reply's, ive taken some pics of how far the lever moves, but i think you are right,the cable could be to short,also ive taken off the side stand, as the hole in the frame has ovaled!! but the side stand seems to be bent, is this normal? :headbang:
cheers mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby bob121 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm

I've reduced the length of several NEW cable outers recently on different makes. Choke being a common one.

Postby Mick D » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am

Hi

The handlebar lever would normally have around 90 degrees of movement, it looks like yours is being restricted by the cable, do you get more movement with the cable disconnected?

The side stand should not be bent - but it's quite easy to straighten cold if you have a good vice and length of suitable pipe.

Regards Mick

PreviousNext

Return to G3 / Model 16