michael 1957 g3 oily rag....

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

Re: michael 1957 g3 oily rag....

Postby vn800b » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks guys for the bearing help, ive fitted new ones now and all seem to be ok and fine , im going to rebuild the forks next, is there any posts on here where someone has already rebuilt built them??

thanks mike

Postby Mick D » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 am

Hi

There's plenty of info on here regarding rebuilding forks, so much so that you're probably better off searching for individual issues / tips.

I used the diagram in the parts manual as a starting point to understanding how the forks were constructed and went from there.

All very straightforward with the following riders:

Drain the forks completely as soon as there on the bench - exercising them will blow the oil out of the drain screw, (if you don't do this you'll have a nightmare getting the top bush out).

The chrome sleeve can be difficult, use heat and penetrating fluid on the thread. You may get away with using a strap wrench but if you intend to replace them you can be more brutal, (I hade to cut a hole in one, close to the bottom, and use a 'C' spanner).

With the oil drained and the drain plug out extending the stanchion smartly a few times with the slider gripped gently in a vice should see the top bush out, (you'll feel the buffer spring at full extent). If this doesn't work there is a method to jack them out via the damper retaining bolt thread, but I'd shy away from this if possible as it could damage the slider.

If the damper rotates when you try to undo the damper retaining bolt it can be held by inserting the knurled / pointed screw from the tool box lid into the drain plug hole.

When you re-assemble, tie a piece of wire around the damper rods to aid retrieval once the fork is in the yokes.

You'll need to beg, buy, make a tool to pull the stanchion into the yokes against the pressure from the spring.

Have fun - and I hope there are no expensive surprises waiting for you.

Regards Mick

Postby vn800b » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:25 pm

thanks mick

Postby vn800b » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 pm

hi guys

ive got a problem with the matchless,one side of the forks hits the tank on lock, im not to sure what it could be, maybe the top yoke is bent?,
be nice to know what you guys think? ive put some pics in.
thanks mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby SPRIDDLER » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Presumably it didn't do that before you rebuilt the forks?
Is the petrol tank fitted slightly offset to the left? The tank brackets on the frame have larger holes than necessary for the bolts that pass through them so the tank position can be adjusted a bit.
I doubt that the top yoke is bent; it's a substantial casting.
The headlight seems to be twisted to the right but perhaps it's because it appears from the photo that you haven't put its bolts in place.
Bottom line (e.g. long term bodge) is that if it rides o.k. and steers true you could have the left end of the frame fork stop bracket built up with a spot of weld.
I poke badgers with spoons.

Postby Mick D » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi

You could also try moving the tank to the rear a bit.

Regards Mick

Previous

Return to G3 / Model 16