michael 1957 g3 oily rag....

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight

michael 1957 g3 oily rag....

Postby vn800b » Mon May 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello to all at the matchless club

My name is michael, and i have bought my very first British motorcycle,ive only had Japanese bikes before, when ever i would hear a British bike go pass i allways wanted to have one,i would love to see what people think of my first project,and anything people think i should check out, it has the original engine and frame numbers. i have but and pic in.

thanks mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vn800b on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: michael 1957 g3 Restoration

Postby Duncan » Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Mike

Welcome to the club and forum, you have picked one of the best capacity bikes for thumping along and enjoying the scenery, or loading it up and pushing some miles under the wheels, it will do everything (with in reason) you ask of it in a quiet unassuming way. Admittedly the National Speed limit may always be a bit of an aspiration but for normal use and club runs etc it hits the mark.

You refer to it as a project, if possible cover some distance on it first before you decide what to do to it, it may ooze character as it is and not be a major project.

Postby Duncan » Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Sorry didn't answer you question, go over it as though you were giving it an MOT check bearings and brakes, spokes, cables, etc, have you discover the Archive yet? http://archives.jampot.dk/

Postby Rob Harknett » Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Looks like a bike to leave as is, apart from what has already been suggested you do. If mine I would change the wrong seat. It looks like the wrong seat, bent and awful.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.05.07_21h39m28s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby Mick D » Tue May 08, 2018 7:53 am

Hi and welcome

Your bike looks to have been well looked after or restored not so long ago - If it were mine I'd replace the decal on the oil tank and any others that are missing and sort the corrosion, (if indeed that's what it is), on the fork and Girling sliders.

Was the bike 'on the road' when you bought it? If so check the tyres and fuel lines for condition. Oil present in the oil tank and gearbox, (establish correct levels after starting and before riding). Brakes, clutch, throttle, fuel taps and lights for function. Start it and ensure oil returns to the tank, (if it's been standing for more than a couple of weeks it's a good idea to drain the sump in case it has 'wet sumped'), exhaust isn't too smoky. Take it for a gentle run.

If it was 'off the road' or has had work since it was last used, go around the complete bike and confirm all fasteners are secure, then do all of the above.

Have Fun Mick

Postby thornebt » Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm

As well as checking the tyres it's also worth considering changing the innertubes if they are old / of unknown age. There seem to have been a few cases of sudden deflation. A lot of attention can be lavished on the bits you can see but innertubes are easily forgotten. Cheers. Bruce.

Postby SPRIDDLER » Tue May 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Welcome, Mike.
That to me is a perfectly usable bike; neither project nor restoration. Check it as suggested, enjoy the sun and leave any 'restoration' of stuff that needs doing (and there will be) for the autumn/winter.
After your modern bikes be wary of the brakes; they are probably the reason why you mainly '...hear a British bike going past........' ;)
I poke badgers with spoons.

Postby 56G80S » Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 pm

It looks like what everyone else has said and I can't better the advice.

The pattern seat is identical to the one that's been on my G80S for the last 40 plus years since I bought it - they just look like that. Provided it's comfy, why worry. If it's a 1957 replacing the seat will be more straightforward than my 1956 "interim" seat.

I have a "correct" seat to put on (but AJS piping) but recently have had other things to sort out.

Spriddler did post some helpful and effective advice on improving the front brake, complete with pictures. If you use the "search" function you may see it. Well worth checking out.

Good luck and happy riding!

Johnny B

Postby vn800b » Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi all

thanks for all the posts and help, ive put some more pics in, see what you think,
thanks mike

Postby vn800b » Tue May 08, 2018 10:28 pm

a few more pics!!

Next

Return to G3 / Model 16