1961 G3ls Dutch Army bike

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
vrossi46
Deceased

1961 G3ls Dutch Army bike

Post by vrossi46 »

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some information regarding my newly aquired 1961 ex-Dutch Army Matchless G3ls 350. The bike is finished in what looks to be original red and silver tank, and red tinware, so I'm assuming the machine was not supplied for 'field' use - I recall somewhere maybe seeing a similar colour scheme on an American export model, but can't be sure.
Has anyone any idea of the paint colour or spec. and also any information on the export model i.e. alternator output, voltage on leaving the factory etc., or any links that can be accessed for details.
I have contacted Roy Bellett for the factory details.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Dave T.
G15 Roy

Re: 1961 G3ls Dutch Army bike

Post by G15 Roy »

image.jpeg
Is this the bike that was on eBay?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
Expat

Post by Expat »

No idea! Looks good though. :)

:oops:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Looks a lot better than my old ex Dutch Army G3, also 1961.

Sorry if this brings back bad memories Neil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Morris on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

for 1961 the red bike seems to have wrong bits to me. wrong seat, tank, head, front guard.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Rob Harknett wrote:for 1961 the red bike seems to have wrong bits to me. wrong seat, tank, head, front guard.
Wow, you have a better eye than me Rob, I can't see the differences, except the seat of course. All of the ex Dutch Army bikes I have seen have a single seat, it was a twin seat that was cut down and the rear end turned over to raise it.

Apart from the rack, crash bars etc I don't think it was much different from the road going '61 G3, except nothing was polished. Everything that was polished ali on the road bikes was left rough cast.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Should look like this one on ebay:

eBay item number:162824096150

Cheers Dave.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Have you seen this in the archives? http://archives.jampot.dk/general/G3_61 ... h_Army.pdf It's in Dutch but there are some stats, and some pictures.

Mine was 6 volt.
vrossi46
Deceased

Post by vrossi46 »

Hi Roy. Yes this is the bike sold on ebay. The picture flatters the current state of the bike, but it will be an interesting project. The bike has 12V electrics (the alternator is an encapsulated windings unit) with (I think) an A reg 1 rectifier(?), and a cartridge oil filter. I don't know the original trim or finish level, but if I can source the paint spec I will probably leave the bike 'as is' and refurbish the tinware, recover the seat, strip and rebuild the motor etc. Thanks for the archive pictures Peter.
Thanks all for your replies.
Cheers.
Dave.