Side Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Waterslade6

Side Stand

Post by Waterslade6 »

My G3 1960 the side stand when the weight is taken off the stand it springs back immediately, I can only locate the two holes in the frame to connect the one end of the spring to. I understand that on some frames there were in fact a further
two holes which the spring could be connected to which allows the spring to be returned using one's foot. I would be very grateful for any help in identifying/locating the possible position of these other two holes or in fact overcoming the problem of the side stand springing back automatically. Many thanks
Expat

Re: Side Stand

Post by Expat »

Hello Phil,

Had the opposite issue that you're talking about but could not find any other holes to locate the spring in, despite many assurances that they would be there.

So, simply fitted a jubilee type clamp around the frame in a position such that the free end of the spring could be hooked into one of the slots in the projecting end of said clip, in a position that would ensure the stand would retract when weight was removed.

You could presumably achieve the opposite effect in the same way!!

Works for me!

:)

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As far as I know the stand should automatically return as the bike returned to its upright position. Not returning could cause a nasty accident.
shifter

Post by shifter »

I secured a small steel dropper where the exhaust downpipe is mounted to the frame with a small hole in it to secure the stand spring on my bike works champion.
shifter
?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I did same as Shifty :D , small bracket hanging down, I like my side stands to stay down.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

My '54 G3/LS has two holes in the right hand bottom rail. The forward one is just behind the flattened section where the bottom rail bolts to the front down tube. Hook the sidestand spring in there and the stand will remain down when the weight is taken off it. The second hole is a foot or so further back. Hook the spring in that one and the sidestand will retract when the weight is taken off it
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.