Twist Grip

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spurrea

Twist Grip

Post by spurrea »

My twist grip does not spring back.
On reading the instruction manual it says there is a screw to regulate the spring tension.
I do not seem to have a screw
On dismantling There seems to be a clip (see picture) that a screw would go in but how does that regulate the spring tension?
Throttle clip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Re: Twist Grip

Post by alanengineer »

Without the piece in the photo being fitted to the twistgrip, does the twistgrip spring back?
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

No Alan it does not seem to spring back but I can feel the spring tension in the cable
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I had the same issue with my restoration - from memory it's a 2BA set screw with a thin nut to lock it - not available from the usual sources but I found the parts here:

http://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/index.html

Set screw was turned down to fit the spring on my lathe but could be achieved with a file at a push ;)
Throttle Friction Screw.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I had the same issue with my restoration - from memory it's a 2BA set screw with a thin nut to lock it - not available from the usual sources but I found the parts here:

http://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/index.html

Set screw was turned down to fit the spring on my lathe but could be achieved with a file at a push ;)
Throttle Friction Screw.png
Regards Mick
Thanks Mick
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Try moving the whole throttle grip out a bit by say 2 mm and see what happens
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

alanengineer wrote:Try moving the whole throttle grip out a bit by say 2 mm and see what happens
I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know, thanks Alan
bitza

Post by bitza »

If my memory is still in gear, from my younger days ha ha, the screw as a locknut it passes through the twist grip clamp, and there is a short length of plain shaft on the end, when screwed in to the body the spring clip sits on the plain end of said screw And I think end was lightly spread, riveted over but not to firm, this is to allow the spring to be retracted when screwed in or out ,to adjust throttle to suit your requirements. I may be wrong on this but if the spring is'nt fixed to the screw if you unwind the screw to far, when you turn the
Throttle grip the spring could move further round the clamp and cause it lock up, I had this happen on a cheap copy.
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

alanengineer wrote:Try moving the whole throttle grip out a bit by say 2 mm and see what happens
I couldn't wait until tomorrow - I just removed the spring and sprayed with WD40 and it now works a treat, thanks Alan
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

bitza wrote:If my memory is still in gear, from my younger days ha ha, the screw as a locknut it passes through the twist grip clamp, and there is a short length of plain shaft on the end, when screwed in to the body the spring clip sits on the plain end of said screw And I think end was lightly spread, riveted over but not to firm, this is to allow the spring to be retracted when screwed in or out ,to adjust throttle to suit your requirements. I may be wrong on this but if the spring is'nt fixed to the screw if you unwind the screw to far, when you turn the
Throttle grip the spring could move further round the clamp and cause it lock up, I had this happen on a cheap copy.
I think you were right bitza, the spring must have moved as there was no screw and it caused the twist to lock up, removed the spring as Alan suggested and now working fine, thanks