54/55 exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
matchbart

54/55 exhaust

Post by matchbart »

My g3ls is a 1954 with a 1955 motor, before I order an exhaust system complete can someone advise me as to whether the mountings will be the same for both years ? so a `54 system or a `55, hope this makes sense, thanks
Janet

Re: 54/55 exhaust

Post by Janet »

I have a feeling that the rear frame is different for the '55 model so it's possible the silencer and/or bracket may be different.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

which is possibly why the system that is currently fitted is such a poor fit.. thanks
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Looking at the spares books for both years I think the front pipes are the same but I have the wrong silencer,
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The 54 silencer is a different shape to 55. also fitting is different.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_19h58m59s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_19h57m04s_001_.png
I would say get the exhaust to fit the frame year. Note 54 silencer has a stud welded on and has a flat hanging bracket, 55 has a bracket welded on. You may find repro systems will not have the long pipe blocked at the end, with baffle holes. Instead, a short pipe and baffles built in the silencer. So you need to get a matching system, which will be as seen in the pictures or as I have pointed out. I have seen the more common 55 type silencer fitted on 54, so providing baffles match, it should fit OK, if you are OK with it not being 54. You may find a pipe with a bracket instead of a stud. If so you will need a different pipe bracket to the flat Z type.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.14_20h22m49s_004_.png
You will need this pipe fitting that screws onto the engine stud, then a bolt through the pipe bracket into the other end. I think this is 57 fitting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Many thanks, the system fitted at present will not let centre stand go up high enough, I have tried moving pipe/silencer with no improvement, as they are both pretty scabby I will get new ones, your info will help my decision, thanks, I will report back when I have the new system fitted (fingers crossed)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You are governed as the pipe and silencer must join up in a horizontal line. Maybe some pipes are not bent quite right. I had a system a P.O. had fitted on one of my bikes, where the centre stand hit the bottom of the silencer. It rattled even grounded when laying very low round a bend. It improved a bit when the stand started to make a dent in the silencer which developed into a hole. The system I now have is OK. I mention this, in case you buy a new system that may also fowl the silencer. I am referring to 55 onwards type silencer / system. The 54 type silencer looks slimmer so may escape this problem.
Expat

Post by Expat »

The pipe and silencer I got for the ‘60 G3 from F*k*d fits well, though the stand does whack it when it goes up. Sometimes think I should try to stop this happening but never seem to get around to it.

Hope there's not a problem with it lurking around the corner.

:(
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

New exhaust is on it`s way, just wondered what opinion is on using some sort of sealant where pipe goes into head, necessary or not...
Expat

Post by Expat »

matchbart wrote:New exhaust is on it`s way, just wondered what opinion is on using some sort of sealant where pipe goes into head, necessary or not...
The pipe was quite a snug fit in the head but I followed the general opinion of fellow forumites and wiped a smear of clear silicon sealant in the port and around the pipe, pushed it in and wiped off the excess.

No leaky and looks tidy too. :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)