What does the S after the 50 (the year I assume?) Signify
It is a ridgid rear and teleforks with a cast iron head
The bike was imported to the USA many years ago
Thanks
Lee
Rob Harknett

Re: New purchase

Post by Rob Harknett »

It would usually be 50/16 MS The S meaning it had rear swing arm suspension.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Lee, S usually stands for sprung (or swinging arm) it was used to differentiate from rigid framed models.

See here: http://www.jampot.com/H_PostWar.asp
Plumbfind

Post by Plumbfind »

Hi
Does this mean that the bike although a ridgid has a engine made for a swingarm ?
All the swing arm bikes engines I have seen have the S after the 16M, not after the year ?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

All I have seen were MS after the model number. To discover if your frame and engine were together in the same bike when it left the factory, you could check with the club dating officer. There is a fee for this service. The fee is much cheaper for club members, so worth joining the club.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Plumbfind wrote:Hi
Does this mean that the bike although a ridgid has a engine made for a swingarm ?
All the swing arm bikes engines I have seen have the S after the 16M, not after the year ?
Sorry Lee I instantly replied without engaging brain, you are correct the S I referred to is after the model number not the year, hopefully some one else can help, some times a picture can help the discussion.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plumbfind wrote:I have just bought a 1950 AJS m16 , the number on the crankcase is 50 s/ 16 m
It could be that the number has been tampered with. In addition to the year/model number there should also be an engine number.
Is the stamping 50 s/ 16m all that appears at that position on the engine or is there more?

Photo below is the format (for my 1954 G3LS Matchless) and your Ajay's i.d. should appear in a similar format, perhaps 50/16M xxxxx for a 1950 rigid frame and 50/MS xxxxx for a 1950 swing arm frame.
Eng number.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'