It's been a good day....

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

It's been a good day....

Post by Pharisee »

... as my 1954 G3/LS "basket case" has had her heart implanted. It's not beating yet but hopefully it won't be too long before it does. I've bought a petrol tank from India and I wanted to make sure that the clearances underneath for the cylinder head and rocker box were OK before the tank was painted. Happily, it's fine.

The more knowledgeable among you will no doubt notice that it doesn't actually look like a 1954 G3. There are reasons for that. The original cylinder head was so badly corroded that half the fins had completely disappeared. The replacement came from a later bike and needed the shorter push rod tubes. The magneto is also conspicuous by it's absence. The magneto was U/S but I did have some 1960 M18 bits in the garage, hence the later timing chest and conversion to coil ignition. I'm way over budget on this rebuild anyway and the conversion didn't cost me anything as I had all the bits. There is also an AMC gearbox in place of the Burman original. It's arguably a better gearbox and I can use the AMC clutch that I have. The purists and rivet counters won't like it but I hope it doesn't offend all of you!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Re: It's been a good day....

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You may wish to re-consider the orientation of the swinging arm end cap - the oil transfer pipes on my restoration obscure the filler point in all but the 9 o'clock position :oops: - still have to re-orientate it.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

You may wish to re-consider the orientation of the swinging arm end cap - the oil transfer pipes on my restoration obscure the filler point in all but the 9 o'clock position :oops: - still have to re-orientate it.

Regards Mick
Have to admit, I hadn't considered that. When I get the oil tank pack from the painters, I'll offer the pipes up and see what's what. Thanks for the info. :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Looking very good John. Doesn't offend me ( a complete novice anyway) in the least. Looking forward to seeing the beating heart version.

:)

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)