Loss of compression

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Committee

Re: Loss of compression

Postby Rob Harknett » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55 am

Bruno wrote:Hello,

An unexpected delay in rectifying the problems with my G3. I managed to shred the ends of my left hand thumb and index finger on a circular bench saw - very lucky to still have them and on the mend, but I've been 'digitally challenged' for the couple of weeks.

I will shortly resume clean up on the exhaust valve and get the top end back together. It is now moving nice and smoothly in the guide since removing the deposits. I think the build up may be related to the bike being run very rich by the previous owner - when I got the motorcycle it was running really badly, mainly due to the carb set up being far out.

Anyhow, I'll give it a go and report back in due course ... hope to catch a couple of warmer days for runs before the proper Scottish winter sets in.

Cheers, Bruno

Opps 50 years a wood machinist and never a scratch. Most of the time as a machine setter / supervisor. I had to make sure machines were properly guarded and operator made aware of all dangers. Then some fool cut the tip off his little finger. Guy said, there was a little gap I thought my little finger could go under, so I tested it. You don't expect anyone to do that with the machine running. Eventually we had to sack him as he was a danger to others.

Postby Bruno » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello Rob,

Sounds like he might have been a relative of mine!

No excuses ... I broke every basic safety measure and was very lucky to just damage a couple of digits which are on the mend.

I can even get my motorcycle gloves on now.

Cheers, Bruno

Postby g80csp11 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Bruno , if t turns out it was not the valve seat , send me you address so I can post you the
£1 I owe you !

Committee

Postby Janet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 am

g80csp11 wrote:Bruno , if t turns out it was not the valve seat turning , send me you address so I can post you the
£1 I owe you !
Corrected for you. ;)

Postby g80csp11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 am

only to happy to be proved wrong and corrected . always pay my dues eventually !

Previous

Return to G3 / Model 16