Front wheel bearing adjustment.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Merlin

Front wheel bearing adjustment.

Post by Merlin »

This may be a fool question but there again perhaps it's one asking.Having removed my front wheel(G3LS 1956) to adjust the bearing I think I need a special spanner? I cold use a drift but don't want to damage the ring. All information welcome.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Mick D

Re: Front wheel bearing adjustment.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

When I performed my restoration this was one of the more problematic areas to dis-assemble,

The lock nut, 021279, was seized and although I had the correct sized 'C' spanner it wouldn't shift, I ended up carefully grinding it away and splitting it off.

The adjusting ring, 021161, was even more challenging, it requires a peg spanner to undo it, I didn't have the correct spanner and even if I had it wouldn't have shifted, ended up welding a plate to the adjuster and unscrewing it that way. When I fitted the new adjuster I ground slots where the peg spanner locations were and used a 'C' spanner to fit it - not 100% original but it will make future adjustments much easier.

Hope you don't have as much hardship as I did.

Regards Mick
20/40

Post by 20/40 »

Hello Merlin, It would be a Perfect world for us A.M.C. Lovers to have the tools for all the different Lockrings and awkward Nuts etc, It would be fair to say that Most careful owners have all used a Hammer and Chisel for fine work ...... :o shock Horror .... But with a neat little chisel or good Pin Punch and a medium hammer you should Lock the 021279 Ring sufficiently, Even put a spot of Locktite on it if you are uncertain. The Adjuster will not need a lot of movement to adjust so you will not damage it. when it is adjusted dab a bit of tippex or paint on it so you can see if it moves on your final Tighten Tap. I have stripped Loads of these wheels and every one has been subject to the "Chisel" so when it has been taken off I just dress the tabs with a dremmel and clean them back up and you would not know they had been chewed up by previous Hammerings. Just use a small narrow chisel or fine Punch and a nice good hard tap will do the job for sure. But yes it would be Nice to have the right tools for all the different Nuts etc Hope this is Helpful and don't be ashamed of using a good old Hammer and Chisel 8-)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thank you for your replies. I think I will buy a spare just in case I make a muck of it.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If parts are seized they can be a problem. The parts have probably all ready had punches used on them, which can slip and also damage threads. If the parts are in bits tidy up the slots so they are once again square. Then, if you need to use a punch, make one up for the job. You would need to hold the punch about 45 degrees. I have a punch ground with 45 degree head, also an angle on the head. So whole head of the punch is against the slot. Never use centre or chisel type punch, which will cut into the part damaging it. If slots have been made good or undamaged, use tools made for the job. I do believe club spares sells them.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Rob,
I would prefer to use a proper tool instead of a Sheffield screwdriver(hammer) but could not locate one on the spares sight, will have another look.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I have made this tool to adjust the front wheel bearing
Poul
attachment=0]20170924_192934_1.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.