Securing the wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Securing the wiring

Post by Rob Harknett »

Groily wrote:Quote: Depends on the year model re stays. The factory method I have given for 55 never caused any problems for my 55 since I first owned one in 1956. No fuses fitted then either. You do need to keep an eye on the wire. Often I have found mine have come out from the tag. This allows the wire to drop on the tyre. Brake light wires can get damaged by pillion riders feet on them. Some else just to keep an eye on to prevent failure there.
For stays read 'stays or grab handles or other bits of bent tin'.

Otherwise . . .Exactly! Without a fuse on a brake light direct off the battery, it's 2am and it's bucketing down and the tyre rubs through . . . and you checked before you set out . . . and the passenger (who looked good when the evening was young but now wishes you had a car and could get 'er home in one bit and in the dry and is yelling "And if you think you're coming in for a "coffee", forget it") is why I don't like the wires where they were put originally Rob, on any machine!![/quote]
Well I/we still go out together on our bikes for fun. Car is always there when we are not riding for the pleasure of just motor cycling. Maybe I'm lucky to have a wife that does not complain, if we get caught in the rain. Just put her in the airing cupboard to dry when we get home.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Nice one Rob! Note to self: Must get some of the other things out of the airing cupboard to make room for the bedraggled one . . .
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I do have the little original fittings but also small metal strip in a "P" shape that I fitted under the bolts for the detachable rear section and at the point where the number plate / rear light part fits onto the detachable part of the mudguard.

It's something I also need to look at more closely after fitting the indicators and the trailer light socket for the little trailer the Matchless pulls - it's all quire messy although works.

Johnny B
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

56G80S wrote: It's something I also need to look at more closely after fitting the indicators and the trailer light socket for the little trailer the Matchless pulls - it's all quire messy although works.

Johnny B
What sort of indicators did you fit at the rear and where did you attach them? I was thinking of using the Lucas type as fitted to the '70s Triumphs. At the front, it's easy enough to use them in place of the headlamp fixing bolts. At the rear, it's not so easy but I thought about either fitting them in place of the bolt that attaches the rear mudguard support to the fixed part of the mudguard, or possibly drilling a hole in either side of the number plate support but they might be a bit low down and close together there.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As I was reading the last post, I was thinking of the two no. plate fitting bolts. Then they get mentioned. This is where the Roddark pannier frames fit at the rear on my 55G3/LS L & R hand frame on L & R bolt. an ideal place to fit an indicator bracket without drilling more holes. Also a good earth point. Drill holes in the bracket to take rubber grommets, to feed wires through
Expat

Post by Expat »

As Pharisee said, the headlamp fixing points can be used at the front which is what I did on my '60 G3. As for the rear fixing points, I try my best not to drill extra holes, so used existing positions.

To my embarrassment, :oops: can't remember where they are without looking, so will have to do that tomorrow.

Didn't use the Lucas type but smaller black plastic type offered by Mr Goff. Pleased with the look and operation of them personally. :)

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

Had a look at the rear indicator fixing point and it's the rearmost hole in the mudguard support bracket, which incidentally also has the rear carrier support strap attached.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I drilled holes in flat part of the non standard rear carrier that my top box is mounted on.

I had to ensure that they didn't stick out too much or at the time they would've fouled the Roadark panniers on my Matchless (currently removed).

I got the chrome ones from Paul Goff and fitted LEDs. Subsequently swapped Paul's flasher unit and LEDs for those from another supplier (name escapes me) because they were more responsive and iftted into the indicator units better.

Johnny B
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Things are progressing... I've sorted out the indicators. At the front, it was just a case of using them in place of the headlamp securing bolts. At the rear, I've used them in place of the securing bolts on the fixed part of the mudguard. I had to open the holes in the mudguard out a little but I think it will be OK.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.