Matchless colours.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Matchless colours.

Post by Pharisee »

The time is fast approaching when I'll need to get the petrol tank and mudguards of my '54 G3/LS rebuild painted. I've already got a black M18 so I don't really want a totally black G3 as well. The frame, oil tank and tool boxes are/will be black but I'd like a bit of colour on the tank and mudguards. I've seen a couple of Matchless machine that have a deep red paint job and I think that looks quite nice. Was is a factory offered colour and if so, would anyone know the paint code?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Stuoyb

Re: Matchless colours.

Post by Stuoyb »

This question has been asked frequently, try the search facility using Matchless dark red as search criteria.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I believe the maroon colour is called Aldwych Red http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colour ... cheme=7930
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Said to be paint left over from an order for bikes from Aldwych post Office. In 1938 they used up the paint making some sports models with chrome and Red petrol tanks. P.O. vehicles were painted red then. Find a red mail box still in the same red colour. A good match is Amazon Red from Roadstar motor cycles Dover if they are still in business.