Speedometer cable questions

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Speedometer cable questions

Post by Pharisee »

I want to order a new speedometer cable for the '54 G3/LS that I'm building up.
According to the '54 parts list, the part number is 53395-1-65 but that number doesn't throw up any hits on the AMOC Spares web site... Nor does just entering "speedometer cable". Would I be right in assuming that speedo cables aren't stocked?

If I have to get one from elsewhere, does the "65" in the part number refer to the length (in inches?) I would like it to run from the rear wheel, under the engine and up the front 'down tube'. Is that the normal route?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Re: Speedometer cable questions

Post by ajscomboman »

Here's what you need Pt No. 900071/5 and yes 65" is the length = 5' 5" inches
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Six different speedo cables listed in club spares showing lengths. Look in the left hand side-menu under cables. One looks to be out of stock so is probably the one you need :shock:

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks, guys :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
JDFS79

Post by JDFS79 »

I ordered the same cable (65" is the length = 5' 5" inches), from the club spares for my 52G3/LS, and it fits ok but it's a little bit shorter than the original , maybe you couldn't run it under the engine, mine didn't...
clive

Post by clive »

65 inch cable is as specified for a 52 G3LS. I have a 55 G3LS and the 65 inch cable fits under the engine. The routing needs to go over the swinging arm, along under the gearbox, above the exhaust pipe stay and up to the speedo via the frame. I use a bracket to hold the cable loosely (allowing movement), mounted at the point where many fit a totally useless grease nipple. (You would have to pump in half a tub or more of grease to get anywhere near the steering bearings!). The cable needs to be secured to the frame at the bottom as it passes near the exhaust pipe or the outer plastic can get melted.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix