Frame stud confusion

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Frame stud confusion

Post by Pharisee »

Having had the basket case '54 G3/LS frame painted, I'm having my first tentative go at putting it together and of course, hit my first snag!!
The problem is the long stud at the rear, that goes through the rear sub frame, the two side rails and the aluminium casting that supports the swinging arm.
I thought it was:-

#021084 "Stud, Uniting Front-rear Frame, 1954-1959 Touring".

When I come to fit it, however, it's way too short and only 3/8" dia. I realised that stud was for where the two side rails attach to the front down tube (and goes through the crankcase). Back to the '54 parts list and I see that there is another stud listed :-

#014512 " Stud, for rear loop at bottom (also passes through rear fork bridge and both frame rails.)"

But.... (why is there always a 'but'?) That stud is quoted as 12" x 7/16" x 26 but unless I'm missing something, that will be too long. With the frame loosely assembled and a couple of odd 7/16" bolts pushed in keep the tubes in position, the distance across the outside of the frame only measures 9.1/2" which would leave 1.1/4" of stud sticking out each side. A 7/16" nut and washer is only takes up 1/2" so I would need 3/4" thick spacers each side to make up the 12" of stud length.
I'm obviously missing something here either with the wrong stud or something else missing, so can anyone put me right, please... pretty please?

Thanks
John

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Groily

Re: Frame stud confusion

Post by Groily »

I might be missing something too - but doesn't the rear brake lever pivot on this stud? Which would take up the extra.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Groily wrote:I might be missing something too - but doesn't the rear brake lever pivot on this stud? Which would take up the extra.
Ahh... that would do it. That's the trouble with having a big Meccano kit and no instructions!!!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

if this is part number 014512 it should by 12" long and no longer where did it come from.
Roy
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Obviouly there is a problem ! The suitable item must have on the left hand side a groove to fit the bolt retaining the brake pedal. Also a plain section (about 1") not threaded, is necessary to fit the brake pedal.
J.N.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

G15 Roy wrote:if this is part number 014512 it should by 12" long and no longer where did it come from.
That's the one I have to get. I'm picking up some bits from AMC Classic Spares on Monday so I'll get one then if Mr Surbey has one in stock.

I miss-read the parts list and bought #021084 by mistake. I hadn't realised that the brake pedal also pivoted on that stud which was why I was a little confused about the length.... and believe me, I get easily confused about lengths these days. Just ask my lady!! :lol: :oops: