Advice on the potential purchase of a 1960 Matchless G3.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
p6dave

Advice on the potential purchase of a 1960 Matchless G3.

Post by p6dave »

Hello Everybody.

In the 1970s I was living in London and using a Norton Dominator as my daily transport. It was a collection of parts from different Nortons ranging from a 1954 frame to to a 1966 650ss cylinder head. That bike taught me everything I know about motor cycle mechanics! I remember converting it to 12 volt electrics. I was able to see in the dark then!

In those days a friend of mine campaigned a Matchless G12 as his daily transport and restored a number of other AMC bikes both singles and twins. I was particularly impressed by by an AJS Model 16 which he built. It was very reliable and oil-tight and even sported ally rims! I was not the only admirer. A Japanese student fell in love with it and made my friend an offer he couldn't refuse. That kid kept the bike immaculate. You could catch him washing and polishing it every Sunday morning.

Spool on another forty years and you find me retired and restoring a house in central France. I am looking for a reliable classic bike to potter about on and to participate in charity runs like the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride in Bordeaux. Don't worry I don't intend to ride an old classic all the way there and back, a distance of over 350 miles, I have a Volkswagen LT28 van! I also have a Triumph Sprint ST if I want to do some long distance motor cycle touring.

Having hesitated overa pre-war AJS, I have noticed this 1960 G3 on a French website. https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1116468587.htm?ca=12_s

This is not an auction site and 3500€ equates to about £3100 these days. The owner wants to sell it to fund another project and is not prepared to let the bike go too cheaply. The paintwork on the mudguard looks a little dull and the exhaust could do with replacing but mechanically it's had a lot of work done to it including electronic ignition by a company called Pazon, a new cylinder and cylinder head, piston rings, valves, guides and valve seats, new front wheel bearings, new Amal Monoblock carburettor, battery, front tyre, seat and clutch springs. The new seat is not shown in the advert. I am drawn to this bike because it has coil ignition like my old Norton and the gearbox and clutch are exactly the same. I've never owned a bike with a magneto.

What is the collective opinion of the cognoscenti?
Groily

Re: Advice on the potential purchase of a 1960 Matchless G3.

Post by Groily »

I'm not one of the cognoscenti at all, but the price is about fair for here in France I reckon. There be 'things', but if the work has been done OK, must be worth a look. And if it runs nicely . . .
Although you could maybe get similar for a bit less from the UK (although I'm not sure about that), by the time you factor in getting it over, registering it as a véhicule de collection etc etc, you'll have spent more than the difference probably.
It's less than one or two similar 350s I know of that have changed hands in recent times, and could be in better shape on the inside as well. I assume 'its papers are in order'?.

Those who know more than I will be able to tell you about any bits that aren't correct (bound to be some I'd assume), in case that's a concern for you. To me, it looks quite an honest beast with patina, and if it works well, a better bet than many a shinier thing would be.
'Saltbox Alf', our French club sec, knows more than I do about singles 'cos he has one down in the south - you in here somewhere Alan?