Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spurrea

Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Post by spurrea »

Hi,
I am looking for a 1956 AJS 16MS
One popped up on ebay but puppy eat V5 and lack of detail on the advert so after initial email to seller to acquire more info, I told the seller it was more than I wanted to pay and I decided the price was too high and did not bid
Subsequently, the seller, who took the bike as part exchange for selling his car and has only had the bike for a month, has put a new ebay advert at a more sensible price and has confirmed he has a replacement V5 document
I asked the seller for the engine and frame numbers and the seller has provided these to me: 56/16MS28458 frame no A41378
Its located about 4 hours drive from me so I have not had chance to look at the bike in the flesh but looking at the pictures on ebay it looks authentic for a 1956 16MS
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222556210996
As owners of fine 16MS machines can you offer me any advice?
All comments will be much appreciated
Kind Regards
Andy
G15 Roy

Re: Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Post by G15 Roy »

I will start with wrong front mud guard, missing two panels, engine cover and tool box to oil tank and the Speedo looks wrong. I also can't see any wires coming from the dynamo!!!

The bike has been checked all over and it's in perfect working condition. ???????
Roy
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Roy,
Thanks for your keen eye observations and experience
I think I am following my heart and value your expertise (I really want a 1956 AJS!) but I think I am being advised to walk away from this one
Regards
Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Like Roy, I don't believe the speedo is the correct one... it should be a black faced Smith chronometric instrument. It has the correct 'short' E3N dynamo but it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. I don't believe the Mk1 Concentric carburettor was fitted to a '56... Shouldn't it be a Monobloc? The 'Torpedo' sidelights should be black, not rusty chrome.... But I'm 'nit-picking' really.

Having said all that... I've seen a lot worse advertised for sale. It is, after all over 60 years old and has probably been in the care of quite a few people. Some more caring than others. You'll be unlikely to find a bike of that age that is faultless. It's obviously been through some sort of restoration. The paintwork looks reasonable and the seat has probably been replaced at some time. I can't see anything that can't be put right.... if you really want it to be a 100 pointer. If the engine runs well and the transmission is ok you have the basis for a fine machine that you can improve on or not, as you wish. With the aforementioned provisos, I'd seriously consider it (if I didn't have a couple of AMC machines already!)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

What put me off is the sellers description .
(The bike has been checked all over and it's in perfect working condition ) but he forgot to mention that the that it does not charge. If you buy this you will be spending money as soon as you get it home. :x
Roy
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Thanks Pharisee,
Some valid points
I am waivering again
I am visiting the area where the seller is on 30th June so am now considering to look at it then and if it has good compression, starts easy and rides ok I may consider. If it's sold before then that will be fate
Watch this space
Oh course it depends on what others may say...
Thanks again for your comments
Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought a '55 M18S early last year. That was advertised as 'Recently restored and ready to ride'. It was for sale in Cornwall, some 350 miles from me. Not on eBay but from a Classic Vehicle dealership. They sent me some photos and after a lengthy telephone conversation, I bought it.

If you're remotely interested, the full story is here :-
http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff ... 2018S.html
It may give you some insight into the sort of thing you can expect when buying old Brit Iron!!

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Earlier head fitted, yes it should be mono bloc carb. It does have some good points, clean, nicely painted and lined tank. Plus some finer details correct, like transfers/ positions and the correct dual seat rear fixing slotted screws. Where you often see hex head bolts. Some one has finished off what is right how it should be. So may had been just as careful with what you cannot see.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I asked this question?
Hi there you say the bike has been check over and all is ok can you tell me if the charging system all works as there seem to be no wires connected to the Dynamo.

The answer. Hi every is fine with bike . And the battery is only for the lights .

As i said it will cost you money the day you get it home.
Roy

Post by 1608 »

All the negative points so far wouldn,t put me off as long as it was mechanically good, goes and sounds good. The bits that are 'wrong' can easily be corrected over time. But, I'd say its a bit too dear as it stands. I'd estimate £3,200 tops. Although the 350cc is very popular there are plenty about.