Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
kernow kid

Re: Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Post by kernow kid »

I've just messaged him asking about the dynamo and asking if he could send me a video clip of the bike being started and running ;)
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

kernow kid wrote: I think he's worked out that his dabble into classic bikes to make a quick buck may not be as easy as he thought!
I think you're right.
From his history he appears to be a general dealer. 90% of his items sold for less than a tenner and range from a suit hanger through saucepans and books, children's toys and a snooker cue to 'a 58 piece drill set' (for £2.84!).
He clearly knows absolutely nothing about this bike.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Well, I got a quick reply...his mechanic is dealing with all enquiries, including the sale and collection of the bike and payment as he is away!! Ok...if I get three thumbs up I'll ring the mechanic!!
:shock:
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

you do have every right to return the bike and get a full refund even under the EbAY rules, because it clearly says, 'everything works'. And its easy enough to argue that the dynamo never did.
Not trusting my money though!

If his mechanic is trusted to help when he doesnt know about the dynamo, whats the point in asking.
I get the impression, he is passing the buck, it the same limp excuse as 'selling for a friend' when you have something dodgy you dont want to come back.

I see a new member that will have 100 questions about his new bike, lets be nice to him when he arrives shall we
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

[quote="alanengineer"]you do have every right to return the bike and get a full refund even under the EbAY rules, because it clearly says, 'everything works'. And its easy enough to argue that the dynamo never did.

Do NOT turst eBay on their return rules I bought a shogun diesel pump advertised as working but when fitted it did not work after a long battle with eBay and seller the outcome was ( from EBay ) because I had fitted the pump I could have damaged it :headbang:
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In the original advert he said he took the bike in part exchange for a car. No doubt his mechanic had made sure that the car was also 'in perfect running order'.

Seriously, perhaps we're being unfair and shouldn't be so cynical. It could well be a nice bike and provide much enjoyment for someone......... (in daylight ;) ).
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Why when he has been asked so many questions has he not posted any of these on the eBay listing. One can only come to the conclusion he cannot be trusted. It would be nice to know where it came from not just a PX?
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The Gov't website for checking MOT history which goes back to 2005 says 'No vehicle could be found that matched the data that you entered' so it has either been in a shed for 12 years or............maybe it was a house clearance or Executors sale.

Gov't MOT history check website here:

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote:The Gov't website for checking MOT history which goes back to 2005 says 'No vehicle could be found that matched the data that you entered' so it has either been in a shed for 12 years or............maybe it was a house clearance or Executors sale.

Gov't MOT history check website here:

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp
The bike does have a current V5 document, apparently. I just asked :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

It looks like a 55 engine is in it. Not a great deal, but something i would think it honest to highlight to potential purchasers.