Post by 56G80S »

Plus point for Devon in the end.

Johnny B
Janet

Re: Rear wheel spokes

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:
arcturus80 wrote:Hi!
............ Won't be riding the bike this year though. Need to assemble the engine, go through the gear box, and assemble a big pile of other parts... But all that is just fun. The heavy restoring job are done.

Thank you all for your ideas regarding my problem. I will be posting other tricky questions in the future :beer:
Don't leave the other work too long without joining the club. As a guest member there is a time limit on how long you can ask questions :o
90 days from registering on the forum.
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

Thing is that I AM a full member since almost a year ago. I'm in the spare parts scheme too. Somehow I can't access the forum as a member...
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

I can log in to the jampot website to access for example the jampot magazine. But these credentials are somehow not valid for logging in to the forum...
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

When I joined a couple of months ago after first registering ~12 years ago I had trouble logging on. I sent an Email to Eammon (the webmaster) and this is the appropriate part of his reply (i.e. the bit without my specific account details in!). I have highlighted the key bit. If in doubt or difficulty send an Email to him and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

"Hello Alan,

You recently requested a note of your username and password for the Jampot website - this email provides that information to you. If you did not request this information please let the webmaster know by replying to this message.
Your username is 'Group Leader' and your password has been reset to xxxxxxx Once logged in you can change your password on the Membership system by going to the menu option under "Members", "My profile", "Edit Profile".
To change your password in the Forum system, go to the User Control Panel by clicking the button at the top of the page that looks like a small cogwheel.

Please note: the Membership system and the Forum system are separate and any change to the Membership password will not affect the Forum password and vice versa.

If you should have any problems logging in using the above information, please contact me (the webmaster) by replying to this mess age explaining the problem experienced.

Best regards,
Eamonn Townsend
Jampot webmaster "

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Hi
I too am having a huge head ache having spent days trying to lace the rear wheel on my AJS 18 using stainless rims and spoke set supplied by Devon. When I first laced the wheel copying exactly the pattern from my other AJS also with a cotton reel hub of the same dimensions. I found that all of the inner spokes were about 1/4 " too long and the nipples were bottoming out on the thread before getting anywhere near the rim. My parts book shows the correct length of the spokes as 8 3/16" and only shows one part number. The spokes supplied were all 8 1/4" long. I can not find the old ones I took out when I dismantled the wheel to check the size. Anyway I sent the inner spokes back and Devon reduced them by 1/4" When I got them back I rebuilt the wheel , or tried to only finding that the inner spokes all appeared to now be 1/4" too short, when I tried to lace the second side. Looking at the spoke pattern it looked just like the other wheel. I was about to order a new set of inner spokes that were 1/4" longer, when I tried again and took the wheel apart and relaced it once again copying the pattern from the other wheel, which is original and untouched from 1950. This time the inner spokes fitted but are at least 1/8" too long. I have place the newly built rim on top of the old one and meticulously checked that the spokes are in the same place in both wheels and they all appear to be .It would have saved me a lot of time had I driven down to Devon with the rims and had them build them. The reason I did not is that I wanted the centres painted and lined as per original' something that Devon do not do. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or what is the correct length of the inner spokes for a 1949 AJS rear wheel with the narrow cotton reel hub.
(Desperate) Dave
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The spokes for a 1950 18S should be:

Front Left Part No 011018 Length 5 3/16 x 8G x 10G
Front Right Part No 011014 Length 8 1/8 x 9G x 11G
Rear Part No 011012 Length 8 1/8 x 7G x 9G

if you make a mistake with the lacing pattern , then you will appear to have spokes that are too long
The above information is taken from the parts list for 1950

Im sure its a problem with the lacing pattern , if your spoke are correct length

1949 AJS rear spoke part No 011012 length 8 3/16 6G x 9G

so same part number in the spares list but slightly different length , odd but most likely lost in the nipple its self
Yves.Astein

Post by Yves.Astein »

Invicta wrote:Hi
I too am having a huge head ache having spent days trying to lace the rear wheel on my AJS 18 using stainless rims and spoke set supplied by Devon. When I first laced the wheel copying exactly the pattern from my other AJS also with a cotton reel hub of the same dimensions. I found that all of the inner spokes were about 1/4 " too long and the nipples were bottoming out on the thread before getting anywhere near the rim. My parts book shows the correct length of the spokes as 8 3/16" and only shows one part number. The spokes supplied were all 8 1/4" long. I can not find the old ones I took out when I dismantled the wheel to check the size. Anyway I sent the inner spokes back and Devon reduced them by 1/4" When I got them back I rebuilt the wheel , or tried to only finding that the inner spokes all appeared to now be 1/4" too short, when I tried to lace the second side. Looking at the spoke pattern it looked just like the other wheel. I was about to order a new set of inner spokes that were 1/4" longer, when I tried again and took the wheel apart and relaced it once again copying the pattern from the other wheel, which is original and untouched from 1950. This time the inner spokes fitted but are at least 1/8" too long. I have place the newly built rim on top of the old one and meticulously checked that the spokes are in the same place in both wheels and they all appear to be .It would have saved me a lot of time had I driven down to Devon with the rims and had them build them. The reason I did not is that I wanted the centres painted and lined as per original' something that Devon do not do. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or what is the correct length of the inner spokes for a 1949 AJS rear wheel with the narrow cotton reel hub.
(Desperate) Dave
Hi Invicta,

I had the same Problem with my 51 model and new rims and spokes from Devin. I had sent them pictures and the confirmed, that I had everything right. They suggested, to tighten them fully and then to grinding of the ends from the spokes which where sticking out inside the rim. I did so and it worked fine. I first thought that the treads of the spokes where not long enough for it to work. But they where fine with the length they had. Not perfect but at least I have wheels that look good and run well.

Hope this helps you. Yves

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk