Chaincase leak from Shock Absorber Cover

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Andy E

Re: Chaincase leak from Shock Absorber Cover

Post by Andy E »

Hi Dave

Thanks for that, I'll reassemble without any sealant then.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy E wrote:Hi Dave

Thanks for that, I'll reassemble without any sealant then.
You'll probably need to use a longer bolt for the ali chaincase band as the ends won't close up as far as they did with the old rubber seal.

(It would save f..f..frustration if the new seal was 5p dearer and came with a suitably longer bolt ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Put the outer half of the chain case on and do up the nut on the retaining stud until there's about 1/8" between the two chain case halves. Then feed the new style 'T' section sealing rubber into the gap. If it falls out, do the nut up a bit more. When you've got it all in and more or less secure, then trim it to length and put the aluminium band round.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Andy E

Post by Andy E »

Thanks guys. The new seal arrived today. I've got a longer bolt for the chaincase band and have carried out a trial fit of the new seal. I have another question though. As the T section of the seal effectively keeps the chaincase halves apart the outer case does not sit neatly onto the retaining stud, it looks as though a spacing washer might be needed on the stud to avoid distorting the outer case inwards when doing up the nut. Am I just being too fussy?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I added a couple of washers to the stud before putting the outer cover in place. Make sure there's no "spare" thread sticking out of the nut on the other end of the stud so you have the maximum length available on the chain case end.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the lack of oil leaking from the chain case now. So much so that I rarely bother to put the "kitty litter" tray under the bike any more when I park it in the garage.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Andy E

Post by Andy E »

The new design of seal from the spares scheme worked a treat. The underside is bone dry after a couple of weeks and about a hundred miles. I did fit a couple of washers to the central stud as suggested. Thanks.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I made a spacer out of nylon bar which fits a treat. I have also fitted the "new" chaincase seal and it works perfectly. Why didn't Plumstead fit them in the first place, surely they used to all leak? Back to the thread subject I cured a leak on the inner chaincase with good old araldite.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I made a spacer out of nylon bar which fits a treat. I have also fitted the "new" chaincase seal and it works perfectly. Why didn't Plumstead fit them in the first place, surely they used to all leak?
I suspect that when they were new the halves fitted far better than they do now after maybe 50 years of interference by a succession of owners.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'