Rear wheel offset (or not?)

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Rear wheel offset (or not?)

Post by Pharisee »

It's time for me to lace a new rim onto the rear wheel spool hub that I got with my '54 G3 basket case. I didn't take this wheel apart, the photo shows it exactly as I got it, so I had no opportunity to check whether the rim was offset to one side or not.
I've searched on line but can find no information (or I'm not looking in the right place). Does anyone know if the rim should be central to the flanges on the hub or should it have an offset to one side or the other?

Thanks
John

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Re: Rear wheel offset (or not?)

Post by dave16mct »

See Les's guide in tech articles, search for 'wheel offset'.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure if the parts list suggests no off set????? it lists 40 spokes 8/1/8" left or right. I'm no wheel builder, but would have thought, if off set, L & R would be different lengths?? Gauge 6 , 7 or 9 depending on model.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon May 29, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:See Les's guide in tech articles, search for 'wheel offset'.
Dave.
Thanks :) Interesting article. Unfortunately, I don't have a frame to measure at the moment.
Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure if the parts list suggests no off set????? it lists 40 spokes 8/1/2" left or right. I'm no wheel builder, but would have thought, if off set, L & R would be different lengths?? Gauge 6 , 7 or 9 depending on model.
Good point... thanks for mentioning it.

John
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:
dave16mct wrote:See Les's guide in tech articles, search for 'wheel offset'.
Dave.
Thanks :) Interesting article. Unfortunately, I don't have a frame to measure at the moment.
Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure if the parts list suggests no off set????? it lists 40 spokes 8/1/2" left or right. I'm no wheel builder, but would have thought, if off set, L & R would be different lengths?? Gauge 6 , 7 or 9 depending on model.
Good point... thanks for mentioning it.

John
I made a typo John, just spotted I typed spokes as 8 1/2 " long should read 8 1/8" I have now edited the posting.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd try to get factory settings or wait until I could measure the frame - for example, offsetting a wheel with a 4" hub width and 8" spokes from 0 to 1/4" only requires a spoke length change of around 0.070".

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'd try to get factory settings......

Regards Mick

That would be ideal.... any idea where I might get them?
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

I have built a few of these wheels and the rim should be laced up so that it is central to the spoke flanges of the hub.
As mentioned previously, the rear wheel spokes are all the same length so any significant offset is not possible anyway!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If the info's not in the archives perhaps give Devon Rim Company or CWC a ring? - they must have built a few of these

Regards Mick