Oil pump pluger guide screw

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Re: Oil pump pluger guide screw

Post by clive »

And if you fit a washer under the pin holder it will mean that the guide pin is not fully engaged and may accelerate wear on it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
shifter

Post by shifter »

So why is there a washer under the one in the photograph, I'm only asking as while checking my bike over 16ms after fitting a new k/start spring I noticed a line of oil running down the engine case from that screw/bolt. (Mine by the way has no washer on) so I nipped it up a little and have not had any oil reappear as of yet
Kevin
?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

shifter wrote:So why is there a washer under the one in the photograph,
There was a red fibre washer under that screw when I took the engine apart (put there by a previous keeper, presumably) and not knowing any different, I put a new one back when I rebuilt the engine. Simple as that.... :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thank you now I know that mine is ok
?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'd follow Bob Zwarts advice.

Having snapped one of those little bolts many years ago, go steady. There's hardly any room to make a proper job of removing the "stump" if it's one that's closest to the crankcase.

Johnny B

Johnny B
Andy E

Post by Andy E »

Welseal sorted the leak from the guide pin screw. I replaced the rather tatty screws securing the oil pump front cover at the same time. I then had to deal with a leak from the front cover. It transpires that the new screws sourced from the club spares scheme have a head diameter about 0.7mm larger than the originals. This means that some of the tightening torque is used to force the screw head into the recesses in the cover. I refitted the original screws and all is good again.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Andy E wrote:Welseal sorted the leak from the guide pin screw. I replaced the rather tatty screws securing the oil pump front cover at the same time. I then had to deal with a leak from the front cover. It transpires that the new screws sourced from the club spares scheme have a head diameter about 0.7mm larger than the originals. This means that some of the tightening torque is used to force the screw head into the recesses in the cover. I refitted the original screws and all is good again.
Yeah... I found the club screws had a head that was just a smidgin too large for the counter-bore in the end cover. I sourced some 3BA stainless cap head screws that fitted perfectly.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.