Fasteners

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mark Plumpton

Fasteners

Post by Mark Plumpton »

I have emailed helplines but not hasd a reply in a couple of weeks so thought I would try here,

Can anyone help me find out which fasteners I need, I'm looking for the bolt that holds the silencer onto the frame, it fastens in particular behind the pillion foot rest, and the fixings for the rear chain guard, which is suspect has a spacer, can anyone shed light on this please
Mick D

Re: Fasteners

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Find the parts manual for your machine here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_lists/

All will be revealed :)

Regards Mick
Mark Plumpton

Post by Mark Plumpton »

I've looked through the manual and where it tells me the possible parts I need for the rear chain guard, I can't find the bolt attaching the silencer to the bikes frame
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's about 3/4" long and 5/16" Cycle thread.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mark Plumpton wrote:I've looked through the manual and where it tells me the possible parts I need for the rear chain guard, I can't find the bolt attaching the silencer to the bikes frame
You need to look where it tells you parts for Silencer. Dave has given the correct size. ( pic from 1956 parts list )
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.22_11h19m22s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Mark asked for the bolt that bolts to the frame not the clip. Dave is still right though.
Mark Plumpton

Post by Mark Plumpton »

Yeah I need the exhaust bolt not the clip
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I showed where in the parts list silencer parts are listed. It can sometimes be difficult to find the heading under which certain parts are listed. I just did a quick snap shoot of the parts list for silencer. If referring to the parts book, you will see 000363 listed for clip and silencer.
000363 is a Bolt. Its old pt. no. was STD363 indicating a standard fitting. In the parts list, in many places, you will see 000363 with the added info what the bolt is used for. Under silencer you can see the bolt listed twice, for clip & bracket. It does not just state 000363 2 off. It states the added info where the bolt fits. If you look further in the parts list 000363 is a bolt for many other uses, like mudguard stay, number plate etc etc. So if you order the bolt for the silencer its correct, it would also be correct for the silencer clip. Also correct for many other places 000363 Bolt, ( where on the bike ) is listed. Handy bolt to have as a spare.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Its not a difficult bolt to work out and a few bolts out of the scrap box usually finds an answer or a good clue to the answer
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanengineer wrote:Its not a difficult bolt to work out and a few bolts out of the scrap box usually finds an answer or a good clue to the answer
SSShhhh I have even used 5/16" x 26TPI longer screw cut down. No one would know its not a bolt, or been cut down, unless they take it out.