Rear wheel axle / assemby help, please.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Rear wheel axle / assemby help, please.

Post by Pharisee »

My basket case G3/LS came with two options. I have the front main frame with which I can either use the rear swinging arm or a rear rigid sub-frame ( I have both ). Unfortunately, the aluminium casting that supports the swinging arm has, over the years of lying in a damp garage, corroded away and it almost certainly scrap. Also, I have no jampot rear suspension units, so I'm opting to put it together with the rigid rear end.

I've started looking at the rear wheel assembly. Some work has already been carried out by the previous owner.
I have the following parts:-
Spool hub, brake drum / sprocket, brake plate with shoes.
All the hub internal parts... bearings, washers, grease seals, circlip, spacer, threaded adjuster and locking ring.

Now comes the tricky bit...

I have an axle with two key ways and threaded each end.
A speedometer drive (Smiths 2:1 ratio)
One key, two snail cams.
One short spacer with two flats on the O/D.
One long spacer (no flats) and one nut.

I've looked at the parts list but find it a little confusing as the various drawing are scattered all over the page. I suspect that the parts I have are for a swinging arm version and I'll probably need to source most of the spacers etc. that I'll need... If I knew what I wanted!
Could anybody tell me what bits and pieces I need to mount the rear wheel in the rigid rear frame that has screw type chain adjusters?

Thanks very much
John

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Re: Rear wheel axle / assemby help, please.

Post by dave16mct »

Have a look here, http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

page 61 to about 65. Good cross section of the rigid rear hub and pictures of all the bits, explanation of fitting and adjusting the bearings etc. It's in the 1949 manual but I think it's what you want, not sure about spindle thickness, but I know 1950 rigids had a different thickness to earlier. You may have to make a special to suit your frame ends or spacers to fit.
Dave.
Pharisee

Re: Rear wheel axle / assemby help, please.

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:Have a look here, http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

page 61 to about 65. Good cross section of the rigid rear hub and pictures of all the bits, explanation of fitting and adjusting the bearings etc. It's in the 1949 manual but I think it's what you want, not sure about spindle thickness, but I know 1950 rigids had a different thickness to earlier. You may have to make a special to suit your frame ends or spacers to fit.
Dave.
Yep... I'd found that drawing from a different source. It's sort of useful but it's not easy to relate that to the parts list and get proper part numbers for the various spacers. As you say, I think what I'll have to do is offer the whole lot up into the frame, see what gaps I've got and make up spacers to suit.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.